There must be a way!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tclare, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Tclare macrumors regular

Now this really annoys me! Grrr.. I love my Leopard experience so far. However there is one thing that seriously annoys me. And that is the fact I can't use Time Machine over the network. I have followed numerous guides and all have failed for me so far. Let me take you through what I have done:

1. Backup disk to External HD. Using a Macbook btw.
    2. Connected External HD to iMac. The iMac won't be installing Leopard due to age.
    3. Rebooted both iMac and Macbook because of updates.
    4. Found external HD on the iMac through the network on my Macbook.
    5. Connected to external HD.

I can read and right to that drive. However I am unable to backup onto it. There must be a way around this. Apple would be insane to expect people to carry external HDs with them everywhere. Also Apple advertise Time Machine as an easy way to back up your files. However if I can't backup files over the network then Time Machine really isn't making my life that much easier.

So does anyone know a solution to this?

I Hope So

Tclare

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i don t think there is a solution for this yet..

3. Tclare thread starter macrumors regular

But Apple will release one soon right? Otherwise this makes Time Machine almost useless for me. :(

4. cwilki macrumors newbie

Time Machine Working with airport disk

Well thank me later I got it working. It was there in front of our faces with the exception of doing a chown and chmod.

Someone else please confirm I will post steps.
    1) disconnect airport disk and plug into computer as a USB drive directly.
    2) Set up time machine to use this volume.
    3) In terminal cd to volume "cd /Volume/HDD"
    4) In terminal "touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported" this will create an invisible file.
    5) In terminal "sudo chown root:admin .com.apple.timemachine.supported"
    6) In terminal "sudo chmod 1775 .com.apple.timemachine.supported"
    7) In terminal "ls -l -a" the .com.apple.timemachine.supported file should be -rwxrwxr-t
    8) eject disk, unplug from mac, plug into Airport.
    9) mount at mac using connect to server in finder (command k) and afp://airportname.local./HDname
    10) see if time machine now sees the drive and tries to use it.

5. Tclare thread starter macrumors regular

I heard somewhere that the long-term effects of doing this could be damaging. Is this true? And does is it matter that I am using a iMac rather than an AirPort Extreme?