There needs to be a way to disable or temporarily stop face recognition in Photos.

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by zorinlynx, Aug 20, 2016.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I noticed my phone was warm all night because it was processing face data the entire night while plugged in.

This is normally fine, except for one very specific case: When charging using a portable battery.

I'd rather my phone not use extra energy processing faces when it's plugged into a portable charger. This will run down the charger faster than normal. There should be a way to turn off face processing, at the very least for this increasingly common use case.

2. Jaggrey macrumors 6502

Jaggrey

At least yours process faces. Mine hasn't for any of the betas.

3. TurboPGT! Suspended

This is unnecessary. When iOS 10 is released, the People scan will run once on users' libraries, and then only incrementally per-photo from there after. There is no need for an ability to disable it, least of all for the reason given.

4. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Same here. Its says it scanned 9 photos and 1 more is waiting and to plug in and lock screen. Well i have way more than 10 photos and its been plugged in and locked a lot. Only thing that seems to work at all is if I take a new picture. It seems to want to add that bit not scanning any existing ones.

5. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Question for those who are having issues with scanning: Are you using iCloud Photo Library?

Maybe the problem isn't with iOS 10, but rather with iCloud. If the photo isn't stored locally, the phone would have to fetch a temporary copy to analyze, so this could be slowing things down.

Perhaps try turning iCloud Photo Library off and back on to see if it "unsticks"? (Yes I know this causes a lengthy resync process).

It's been two nights of being plugged in since I installed the beta and I have about 16K analyzed out of 20K or so.

6. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Nope, all local here. I do have PhotoStream still enabled. Just doesn't seem to want to scan.