There seems to be a very thin line between eBooks and Apps.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by nashyo, Apr 8, 2012.

1. nashyo macrumors 6502

nashyo

How do you create an eBook for the iBookstore that is interactive and media rich? I've been searching online for hours and I can't find an answer. I'm aware of iBooks Author, but that is for educational textbooks.

I've discovered that simple text based eBooks can be created by simply exporting a document from pages 09. Further, I have discovered Sigil and Calibre allows you to add media and text flow features. Further, InDesign allows the addition of more features, but this is where it becomes unclear. How much more can InDesign (and other complex programs) do, and how do you build a bridge between XHTML and objective C for features like the following: An image with a button and that button takes you out of the book and into the google map app for instance?

2. tmphoto macrumors member

custom widgets

Custom widgets for iBA will allegedly do exactly what you mention. See here: http://www.classwidgets.com/
    If anyone can help me work out how to get them into iBA on the other hand, well.. I'd be your best friend.

3. nashyo thread starter macrumors 6502

nashyo

ha, a mate of mine just noticed that the App store now has a books category. I guess Apple are catching on.