There was no scroll lag before, but there is now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unbelievable99, Dec 27, 2012.

1. unbelievable99 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of threads about this, but as you can see from the title this is slightly different.

I bought my macbook pro 13 inch retina last week, and I updated everything immediately (including software update) and I was so pleased to find out that there was no scroll lag whatsoever in some pretty heavy websites.

But today I was using my mac on the same websites, and there is sooo much scroll lag on the same websites. How come? There were no updates in between and before there was no scroll lag, and now there is! Some websites still work fine, but lots of the ones I use regularly have scroll lag. Note that I noticed the scroll lag after I tried to connect with my TV using HDMI and played with the arrangement. But now it's disconnected, so that shouldn't have an effect right?

So why is it showing up now?

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Have you been changing resolution lately ( or the TV when you connected it )? Yeah, that's why...

3. unbelievable99 thread starter macrumors member

No I haven't changed the resolution. When I connected with TV I just changed the arrangement, but now it's disconnected again. But if it is to do with the TV how do I fix it?

4. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Do check screen settings just in case... Did you try restarting the computer? If that doesn't help, check your screen settings again because for sure they have changed because of the previous TV hook-up. There is no other explanation.

5. unbelievable99 thread starter macrumors member

I checked my screen settings, it's on best for retina (the one that I had before I hooked up to TV. And I have restarted my computer, and there still is scroll lag. This is very odd...
    Anyway thanks:)

6. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Ok, one more explanation would be that the website content has changed drastically lately. Meaning that they've added more "heavy content" ( images, animations, etc. ) that needs time to render and might result into lag-like behavior ( although this should "usually" happen only until the content has fully loaded ).

Which sites are lagging? I can give them a shot on mine a bit later too...

7. unbelievable99 thread starter macrumors member

I restarted it again and left it for a while. It's a lot better but not quite as good as I first got it. My facebook feed still lags.

But websites that lagged before like www.mirrorfootball.co.uk are a lot better now.

What really annoys me is that I've compared this to a macbook air, and the air is clearly smoother than this. Is that normal or is there something wrong with my machine? Isn't it the sofware and not hardware that is creating scroll lag? And finally do you expect them to release a software update that resolves this problem?

Thanks

8. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

The site from the link stutters a bit at the beginning ( also depends on how you scroll stuff... on fast scrolling it's more obvious than "normal reading scrolling" ), but once you scroll trough it and it's fully rendered / loaded, it's smooth. The reason why such things happen has to do more with the software than the hardware. The retina model actually scales your screen and only renders it afterward, whereas your MBA has nothing to scale since it has a lot less pixels to push around ( it works differently in essence ).

This is "normal"... I won't say it's "great", since it's clearly not, but it's one of those things early adopters kinda have to live with and be aware of when picking up new tech. It's possible that the scaling algorithm will be optimised in time and stuttering will be minimised / eliminated. Until then, heavy and not fully loaded / rendered content can stutter a bit while scrolling. If you really can't get used to it, then I suggest sending it back and waiting for next year's refresh or getting a non-retina model.

9. walkie macrumors 6502

I'm checking this website on my iPad 3 (retina display) and it doesn't lag when scrolling, it goes like a breez, maybe you have a high demanding graphic app running on memory that loads when MacOSX starts.

10. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I know I get lag when I double tap to zoom on text like I do on my iPhone. I also have my scroll speed set to the fastest setting. I don't know if it's related or not because I'm too lazy to test. I'd rather come on here and complain about it. I hate it.

11. Aspen macrumors member

The scroll lag is exactly why I returned my 13" rMBP to Apple. As far as I was concerned, using the computer was not a pleasant experience.

12. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

13. unbelievable99 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone,

I am kind of paranoid to get webkit, because I prefer to download apps straight from the app store, or known websites like adobe, just in case there is a virus hanging around somewhere.

And do you think that apple are going to do a software update that solves the problem? I mean if webkit got it, shouldn't apple be getting it as well?

14. leman macrumors 604

Well, Safari has been buggy for years. It is actually based on WebKit, so yes, Apple will probably do a Safari software update which incorporates the latest WebKit fixes, but as to when it happens we can only speculate.

As to your fears... WebKit is an open source software and each change is reviewed by dozens if not hundreds of experienced coders. The chance of getting a virus from it is as high as getting a virus from the App Store. Actually, it might be even lower.

15. scenox macrumors member

I tried this site on rMBP 15", slight legginess with default webkit, but smooth with latest webkit revision.