There when you need it... (Google Glass)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by itsmeorthedog, Dec 4, 2013.

1. itsmeorthedog macrumors member

I'm confused here...

They say Glass is there when you need it, out the way when you don't need it. How is having a frame with a glass on your head out the way? :-\

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

b.c when you do not need it you do not have to have it on.....

4. itsmeorthedog thread starter macrumors member

So why does everyone i see wearing them keep them on even when not in use?

Is it the "look at me, I'm cool" factor?

----------

I've yet to be sold on the device. Just fishing around for peoples opinion.

5. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

I have glass. I became an explorer on Sunday afternoon, so happy...

It's a frame on your head, but it's not covering your vision - even when it's on. You have to drift your eyes upward for it to come into view...

Just use it. Then you'll be sold.

6. itsmeorthedog thread starter macrumors member

The majority of people who've bought Glass are people who are in certain fields. It will do great in medical, law enforcement, heavy Industrial work and so forth. The mainstream public..not so much.

All I've seen plastered on the Twitter etc is people taking pictures of themselves and cooking food with ingredients on the screen, when it's on the can.

7. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Firstly, it would be extremely useful to any worker who ever needs to refer to information in any circumstances and unless your job is completely mindless, this will probably be useful.

Just because you can't think of uses for the mainstream public is more a reflection of your lack of imagination, not so much on the utility of Glass.

8. itsmeorthedog thread starter macrumors member

Absolute nonsense. I have spoken to a fair few people who have had Glass and they themselves pointed out that it's more beneficial in the working environment, than in the hands of the public.

As with my lack of imagination... That's nonsense too.

I'm still on the fence about the device. I'm seeing a lot of places banning the device already. That's a factor in my decision to buy it also with what prescription frames they produce.

9. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Yea, yea, yea. Those same people were saying a decade ago that only professionals could have any use for a smart phone and in the late 80's the general public had absolutely no use for a mobile phone. In the 70's the general public had absolutely no use for a computer. In the early 90's the internet was only useful to academics and geeks...Do you see the pattern here?

I remember the exact same luddite hysteria when phone cameras were becoming prominent in the early 2000's. In fact, the same type of issues were raised with the introduction of photography in general in the 19th century. Guess what? It didn't last.

10. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

If you were to remove them everytime you weren't actively using them it would completely defeat the purpose of having an extremely convenient device which is ready in an instant.

If you have to reach into your pocket, remove them from a case and put them on your head, why would you not just perform the same action with your smart phone. :confused:

11. itsmeorthedog thread starter macrumors member

To be honest, Glass is a lot different to a phone.... It's not "Luddite hysteria" at all.

It doesn't help either, that most Glass users I've come into contact with are pretentious morons.

12. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

On Google+, one person posted that his son was using Glass to guide him on how to carve a turkey.

13. oplix Suspended

oplix

I don't ever see Glass becoming mainstream like smartphones. It will pass it's "cool" phase just like bluetooth headsets. It's more a niche market for POV recording. Could be really useful for certain things like someone who is paralyzed but in every day life it's completely useless. It's like being too lazy to take your phone out of your pocket.