There Will Be an iPhone 5 - Heres Why...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiman, Sep 22, 2011.

1. skiman macrumors member

I was at a management meeting at an un-named uk network this week.

They announced that the 32GB iPhone 4 was now EOL (End of line) - as in they aren't getting or making anymore - Why would that be? Why wouldn't the 16GB be EOL too then if there wasn't a 5?

They said

"We are expecting to have a new Apple product with us by the end of October, however, stock will be seriously constrained for the first few months"

So...

32GB iPhone 4 EOL - Constrained iPhone for first few months, which wouldn't happen to be the run up to Xmas?

Xmas, people go CRAZY!!! They want what they can't have, it pushes demand up, it pushes prices up.

Apple have played this so smart its unreal. Constrain the supply at Xmas - Push demand and price up... Make it the "Must have gadget of Xmas 2011"

Have massive queues outside the apple stores for weeks, just like the iPad 2.

The buzz to try and get one would be massive!!!

I say.... Well done Apple. Well done...

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ummmm..
    The price won't go up due to demand one penny..

3. simple20 macrumors regular

4. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

and piss off the people who wasn't able to get one by xmas.

5. skiman thread starter macrumors member

Im convinced your gonna see a 32GB and a 64GB - iPhone 5.

----------

LOL - True. :)

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I believe you, something about your story captivated me

7. alectheking macrumors 6502a

8. skiman thread starter macrumors member

9. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Lol lol lol Im weak

10. charliecc, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

charliecc macrumors regular

11. mms13 macrumors 6502

12. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

EOL on the 32GB? That's just stupid, the new one ain't even out yet.

13. DJinTX macrumors 6502

When you say iPhone 5, are you referring to a redesigned phone (not a 4S) or are you just talking about any new phone, period?

We already know at least one phone is coming, and possibly even two (if you buy into there being a 4S and 5 at launch). In any case, if you are arguing that this proves there is another phone coming, then that's not really news.

If on the other hand you are saying this proves there is a redesigned iPhone 5 coming, then your reasoning may be a bit of a reach. They could easily keep the 16 GB for the entry level phone, and then come out with a 4S in various "flavors" as the new flagship.

14. exoceano macrumors newbie

The real strategy !

Hey - this is easy, really - Where's that big button.

- the 4S will be available on Oct 4 - announcement day ---Corporate likes to have the announcement include something available now.
    - the 5 will be announced and available for preorder a couple weeks out, available pre Thanksgiving to really hit the holiday season.

Can someone push that big button now ??

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fixed that for you.

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

but demand will drive people to buy out of contract...not earning apple any more per handset, but essentially moving more handsets (however, chances are theyd sell out under contract anyway, so its probably just a failsafe strategy)

17. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I think Sprint blocking employee vacations from September 30 thru October 15 is proof enough. Also what NYTimes have said and other publications.

Also, iOS5 is about done beta testing, Apple's back to school promo just ended on the 20th, massive new stores have recently opened up, it's about to be the holiday season, leaked parts are popping up etc etc

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Releasing a high hype product in October is retail 101. Apple would not be the first to do it.

Plus at this point September is about over. Unless apple is not going to release a new phone in 2011 (which I doubt) they really only have another month to do it. If they wait until mid November it will be a huge disaster as far as supply/demand goes. It will be bad enough as it is. If they released the new phone tomorrow there would still be millions of people who don't get one in time for Xmas.

In most ways this release is no different from the four previous ones.

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I really hope the supply constraints aren't too bad. I need to wait until mid October before I can sign up for a new contract. If they're released before that then I may get very little chance of getting one without waiting a while :(

20. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Here's why I say there will be an iPhone 5, bear with me, as this is just my take on it.

Apple is Steve Jobs' baby. He built it from the ground up. He was the most influential and impacting of the founding fathers. Now he's stepped down as CEO, but still acts as Chairman of the Board. No matter who's at the helm, Apple will always be a reflection of Steve Jobs' excellence, brilliance, and versatility. As such, he would definitely want it's success to grow more abundantly. Just like every one else at Apple, he's fully aware, though, of the strict correlation people make between him and the success of Apple Inc. But he doesn't want his leaving the helm of the company to impact it's continuing success, innovation, and overall corporate genius. It's a pretty strong guarantee, however, that people a going to be initially skeptical of it's continuance in leadership and excellence regardless of who takes the reigns. I feel that Steve wanted to leave some "foolproof" assurance that his leaving Apple as CEO would not only leave it unaffected negatively, but also guarantee it fiscal success and the continued faith of it's loyal consumers. It's by this fact that I feel both a 4S and 5 are in preparation. This would be an excellent and ideal way to start the Tim cook era at Apple, so that people will always associate his reign as another one that was replete with greatness from the very beginning.

21. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I think we already know that there's going to be an iPhone 5... Thanks for reminding us. :rolleyes:

22. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I hope so, my contract is up on my 32Gb 3GS in November, I'm going on a cheaper pay-and-go contract and keeping the phone for a while after that but I'd happily save for a 64Gb iPhone if I knew one was a available.

I have a 90Gb+ iTunes library and that's just the music folder (I've accumilated a LOT of 1 hour+ DJ Sets over the years).

I'd still have less than 2/3rds of my library on there but that would still be more music that I could listen to constantly for a month

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

STOP lying, if you were in a meeting you would know that EOL means End of LIFE. JUST STOP.:cool:

24. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I thought the reason apple waited this late was so it could have good 4th quarter earnings.

25. ap3604 macrumors 68000

That and to get a chuckle out of making macrumors members go absolutely ******* crazy waiting extra long for the new iPhone to come out ;)