There will be lines...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GageGecko, Jul 7, 2008.

1. GageGecko macrumors member

GageGecko

Just judging by the buzz on this forum, and just about every where else for that matter, I'm confident there will be lines. Just how long they will be is the only thing up for debate in my mind.

I don't believe everyone will be coming home Friday night with a shiny new 3G. There is only so much inventory a store can have on hand at launch. Where you see 3 people in a line, I see 9 to 12 3G's being sold.

What kind of inventory are people imaging the store will be carrying? Realistically, I see maybe 60 or 80 units per store but I have heard people who claim to work at one of these places state they are expecting to have less than 50 on launch day.

I'm not trying to cause a panic, just don't want people waking up on Friday morning with unrealistic expectations.

2. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

For one, everybody already knew that there were going to be lines, we knew that before they even announced the phone. But as to stock per store it depends on where that store is located and their typical sales. If a store is in the heart of a city like NYC or Boston, then they will probably receive a lot more stock then your typical strip mall store in the suburbs (like the Hingham, MA store). There is no average # that you can apply to all stores.

4. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

I'm hitting up a 2 month old Apple Store that opened in a mall about 15 minutes away from where I live. I'm just crossing my fingers they're getting a big shipment since they're new in that area.

There are TONS of AT&T stores in stripmalls around here within 2 miles of each other so I doubt they'll have a big inventory as the Apple stores will.

I'm going pretty early (4am) since the store is in a mall and they'll probably open their doors early so we won't be standing out in pitch black darkness that morning.

5. GageGecko thread starter macrumors member

GageGecko

Where is this stated? Please provide something from AT&T or Apple because I called several stores and was told by each that people would be allowed to purchase more than one phone if they signed up for the family plans.

Are you telling me that if someone walks in and signs up for a family plan they aren't going to sell them an additional iPhone? Is your money better than theirs some how?

Don't take my work for it, call AT&T tomorrow.

Oh, and welcome to an adult conversation. Nice talk.

6. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

this is false info isn't it? I can go and get one for me and my wife on a family plan according to ATT

7. GageGecko thread starter macrumors member

GageGecko

You are correct sir. At least that's what we were told when we called around to inquire about the family plans.

8. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

No Last Year was 1 Per person.... Same this year if you want one for you and your wife she is going to have to come with you im trying to find the memo that did state this from AT&T...

9. mcnieman macrumors member

Several reps have made it clear it's one per person in line, they've suggested if you can't bring your spouse with you, to bring a friend as they're going to be strict on this.

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Although I do not have the link (it is 1AM here and I am too tired to look), I believe the policy is 1 per customer if purchasing a single plan, but probably a 2 limit if a family plan (but possibly the amount of lines left on the plan).

11. lorinserbenz macrumors newbie

Lines in NYC, some cities in California yes.. everywhere else NO.

This site represents a VERY VERY VERY small segment of the iphone users.
    Of course most of the people that frequent this web site will wait in line.
    Unfortunately the average Iphone user is not going to pay for new phone thats the same as what he or she has only a little bit faster. Plus a terrible economy is not going to help drive sales.

12. GageGecko thread starter macrumors member

GageGecko

Well, I don't live in NY or CA as you can see from my profile but the stores here have told me they expect lines and are preparing for it. I won't be there as mine was ordered today. Damn shame I probably won't get it until some where around the first of August.

And, lorinserbenz, I am also guessing you don't live in either of those two places either.

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Here is the offical information posted by AT&T.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/en/iReady_checklist.pdf

Check under the Title Step 1 for the ugly facts as we know it at this point in time.:mad:You may purchase 1 iPhone per person in line.Two-year contract is required.

For me the key word is line, no line no limit of 1 per customer.:)

14. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

I've spoken with the ATT store I plan to visit three times in which every time they confirmed that I can get the phone for both my wife and I on the family plan.

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That seems like it is a good thing, if somebody wants it on opening day, they should have to come out and get it.

16. mcnieman macrumors member

I guess take your chances then?

17. GageGecko thread starter macrumors member

GageGecko

Ok, I concede that it says that in the PDF but that doesn't change the fact that three different stores we called here in the New River Valley told us you could get an additional phone if you signed up for the family plan.

And I agree completely with you that if there is no line, they will sell, sell, sell. Of course, that won't help the line that forms later.

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Provided that your wife is IN LINE with you.

19. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Nope, I explained that my wife wouldn't be present.

20. claybo macrumors newbie

yeah even in Nashville the rep at my AT&T store told me "good luck getting one, there will be more people in line than phones in the store" when i walked out of the store today

21. GageGecko thread starter macrumors member

GageGecko

THANK YOU! That's what I have been trying to tell people all day.

22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Sounds like he is a good salesman if you believed him. Apple didn't run out of iphones last year and they won't come close to running out this year. Don't forget that (despite what you are reading here) the vast majority of current iphone owners are not going to trade up on July 11. There will only be lines because people want to stand in line. If you go to the Apple store Friday night or Monday there will be no lines.