There will be Widgets

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Looking at this pic from the new Notification system, it looks like the weather shown, could be made into a Widget possibly ? Maybe Apple is saving some info for the official announcement of the iPhone-next later this Summer ? They don't want to reveal 100% everything right this second, save some good stuff for the big iPhone launch event ?

[​IMG]

2. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

3. Darthdingo, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011

Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would bet Apple will announce Widgets are officially in iOS5, but they need something cool to show off at the iPhone announcement in a few months, and not reveal everything today.

Will jailbreak be as popular if they do have Widgets officially, and now the new Notification system, in iOS5 ?

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I'll certainly be getting rid of the JB -Apple have exceeded my expectations on iOS5 :apple:

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Hard to say really. I know a lot of people (including myself) like to jailbreak for the ability to change certain visual aspects of the OS that Apple never will. There will always be features offered in the JB community that are ahead of what Apple is offering.

I'm sure there are jailbreakers that have just had their needs satisfied with this preview but personally, I'll still be jailbreaking no matter what.

6. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

I agree. Most people don't care about stocks anyway. I think the user will be able to chose 2 widgets to replace the stocks and weather widgets in the video.

7. FortMOney macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

iOS 5 showed a few cool new features, like the camera, but nothing good enough for me to upgrade to it just yet. I already have a better notification system than even iOS 5 with lockinfo and mobilenotifier. That's not to mention all the other tweaks I have come to expect

Htc weather clock
    Fakeclockup
    Fullscreen for safari
    And of course all of the hundreds of small little changes

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

HTC weather clock? You expected them to add that?

9. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I NEED widgets; I NEED a jailbreak; but I NEED iOS5 --- what I need is: iOS 5 with a jailbreak for widgets.

TBPH : I was expecting widgets, new Maps, and better use of the iPad's homescreen.

But, overall, I'm very impressed with iOS5, and it's exceeded my expectations.

10. Darthdingo, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011

Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point, then it will just be a question if the new iPhone5 hardware is worth waiting/upgrading for ? If they make an even better screen, and bump up the size to 3.7" or 4", I for sure will be a first day buyer.

I still think there are a few key features Apple held off showing, to wait for the iPhone5 announcement party. I am pretty confident some type of Widgets will be revealed.

Is there a date yet for the iPhone5 announcement show ?

11. FortMOney macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

No, that's why I'm not abandoning jailbreaking. Because they're never going to add it

12. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Good point. MyWi is the only reason I would jailbreak on iOS5

13. FortMOney macrumors member

I can't wait for the new iPhone. And the great part is, a jailbreak for iOS5 will probably be out by the time it is released. The thing about jailbreaking is, no matter how great the stock iOS is, there are always things you can only get through jailbreaking. Some things are innovations Apple hasn't executed yet, others are things Apple would never allow

14. Krandor macrumors 6502

Fall.

15. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, for some reason I thought I read it would be announced in Summer = August. Oh well looks like an Oct/Nov release for the iPhone5. If they don't even announce the phone until September 21st, it is usually a month by the time it hits stores.

16. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

The widgets are the notification system. Pure and simple.
    Yes
    This would make sense.
    You don't have to upgrade yet ;)
    But yeah, what you listed, plus Typophone, Sbsettings, Pull to Refresh... :D

17. green94 macrumors regular

My one disappointment was no widgets, but the screenshot above gives me hope. If they can integrate into homescreen/lockscreen that would be icing on the cake.

18. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yeah, I really don't foresee them overhauling Notifications AND adding widgets

19. LoganT macrumors 68020

It's possible there is widgets but it's only for the next iPhone.

20. green94 macrumors regular

Once the Devs get the seed, I'm sure they will uncover if the possibility is there. I'm assuming it is.