There wont be major hardware changes with iPhone 3 will there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Mar 13, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I mean iPhone 3G is pretty stacked hardware wise

3G HSDPA
    GPS
    3.5mm Jack
    Bluetooth with A2DP support
    Wi-Fi

The only thing i can see with iPhone 3 would be a higher res/larger size screen, camera and larger storage....the end. Unless i'm missing something

....and no there won't be a qwerty keyboard don't even dream about that one

In other words the upgrades will mostly be software...i think

2. epyfa macrumors regular

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

What would they call it if they made changes?

The public is generally stupid when it comes to names for tech products - lots of people wonder why it went from just "iPhone" to "iPhone 3G" (one person asked me why there was no iPhone 2G). iPhone 3 would be too confusing, iPhone 4G would be what the public expects it to be called, but it wouldn't actually be 4G.

4. bigchief macrumors 6502a

There is going to be new smsrt phones out this year with some impressive hardware. I can't imagine apple falling behind.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's going to be a better processor and more RAM. The new iPhone will probably come in a 32GB flavor. ummm there is a chance that it will come with iChat, and iChat will come out as a beta for Windows.

(iChat would be software that came with OS 3.0 rather than iPhone 3)

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

iPhone 3G currently doesn't have A2DP support.

You're probably right. Just look at the Mac hardware upgrades; nothing to write home about. Look at the jump from the original iPhone to the 3G; nothing earth shaking. People should expect the worse, but hope for the best.

Fear of competition didn't prevent Apple from already putting out a phone that featurewise, was already 2 years behind other smartphones. They just made it shinier and placed multitouch and an excellent browser on it. And An Apple logo on it, of course.

7. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

It will go back to being iPhone. Similar to how the iPod Photo was transitioned into iPod.

8. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Possibly a front-facing camera. That is one of the few [positive] things that would set the iPhone ahead of the competition (especially in terms of hardware). None of the other major competitors (in the US) feature a front camera; not Storm, not Instinct, not Touch, not Vu, not Voyager, not Shine, and not even the Pre. For video chat, it may only work over Wi-Fi; I would imagine it would be compatible with AIM/iChat.

While I certainly am NOT saying the following will come, or expect them to come, they are possible (to answer the OP's question of what is possible):
    Pico projector- Motorola and Nokia are in to - http://www.microvision.com/pico_projector_displays/embedded.html http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/projectors/motorola-signs-up-for-mini-laser+projector-tech-281994.php
    Fingerprint scanner http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/08/16/new-lenovo-p960-handset-using-atruas-fingerprint-solution/
    Wireless charging- Pre will feature- http://gizmodo.com/5126600/palm-pres-amazing-wireless-touchstone-charger
    RFID/NFC for contactless payments http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS163737+30-Oct-2008+PRN20081030

Also possible is an 'iPhone Pro' that WOULD feature a tactile keyboard in addition to a removable battery and no camera(s).

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I agree with this. Just iPhone. They don't give every new iMac/MacBook/Mac Pro a "suffix" so why should they do it with the iPhone?

10. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

There can be a lot of changes still to be made hardware-wise. Faster cpu, more memory(possibly for background processes), front camera as another user posted.

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

no no no no no!

If they make it like the iPod touch, I will never buy an iPhone again.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why? I'd love it if they could get the iPhone, with the same battery, power, radios, etc, into the form factor of the iPod touch.

13. burro macrumors member

Hardware, camera, sure -- I want BT keyboard access!!!

Hardware, better camera performance, bigger drives, sure -- BUT I want BT keyboard access!!!

That is ALL I've really wanted and the ONLY thing that will continue to prevent me from buying one of my own!!!

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I don't know... personal preference I guess?

I find the touch way too thin.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Same here. I completely understand the "iPhone 3G" moniker last year to easily point out that it had, uh, 3G. Unless there is some other device coming out that is also called an iPhone (whether it's smaller or larger), Apple will probably revert back to iPhone.

That being said, I can't wait for the confusion erupting between iPhone 3G and iPhone 3rd generation. They should've just called the cheaper iPhone (when it dropped to $399) 2.0 and then had the 3G be the third generation. :)

16. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I love the iPhone, but there are so many things to bitch about. I want my god damn video recorder even if it doesn't meet Apple 'standards'. No, I don't want to jailbreak again since last time, it lagged my iPhone like hell.

17. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Processor power and RAM for sure. I can't stand when my iPhone 3G slows down and apps crash. I think this is going to be crucial for 3.0 because multitasking will require more iPhone power.

18. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

iPhone G3?

As in Generation 3.:D

19. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I have to agree, I don't think this thing is gonna be updated hardware wise. As much as I thought it was (and I told people on here that they were silly for thinking that), but now I'm thinking its more possible with the 3.0 software coming out. With the 3G rolling out in multiple places soon, its possible they just really overhaul the software, adding alot and not changing hardware.

The only other things I could see changed in hardware is video camera (possibly front facing for iChat) and better cmaera on the back. Really, anything else, is not needed or not gonna happen.

Thoughts?

20. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

How would they add iChat to the current iPhone?? It's not possible, just think about it.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's not possible to add an instant messaging client to a phone? :confused:

(Note that I said iChat, I never said video conferencing)

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Why on earth would you want a BT keyboard attachment? How would you see the screen if you were typing from a keyboard?

23. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I think you're right on... Like mentioned above, they'll go with the Mac way of naming...

iPhone (2007)
    iPhone 3G (2008)
    iPhone (20__)
    etc.

24. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

The hardware does, Apple just didn't turn it on by refusing to put a decent bluetooth stack in the OS

Also for those saying faster processor...the current iPhone processor isn't being used to its full power, its downclocked...capable of 600+MHz but currently capped at 400MHz

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple's likely to steer mostly clear of Bluetooth - there are other technologies to use instead if it so chooses.