There's a hole in my screen!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBain, Jun 9, 2008.

1. MacBain macrumors newbie

Apple changed my motherboard. It took 28 days. I got it back today and there was a tiny hole in the middle of my screen. It is not very big. Looks like dust, but you can feel it on the surface and its quite obvious when you know its there. I gave it back to them in the store, and now I have to wait yet again!

Do you think they will fix it or can i expect them to deny everything:confused:

I'm sure it wasn't there before as I've been very protective of my dear Mbp...

2. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

um if there was a hole wouldn't something leak out when being used for display?

maybe just a stuck piece of chocolate?

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Are you sure it was a "hole"? Usually, laptop screens either crack or shatter. The only way to make a hole is to drill one, and I doubt that would be the case.

What made you think it was a hole?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

"Pictures speak a thousand words."

Or take it to the Apple store.

6. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I have a hole in my screen.... I think it got jabbed with a pen, although I don't know as it was there when I bought it used. Regardless, nothing is leaking out and it is very possible there is a small hole. I'm sure apple will take care of it for you as their support is almost always very good.

7. MacBain thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a photo of the hole because they got it back in the store right away. It could be chocolate but neither me nor the girl in the store could get it of with spray and cloth. She said it was a hole/scratch too.

We'll see what they say when it arrives back at the service center.

8. ®©™VERSE™©® macrumors newbie

IN THE GANG CAPITAL OF THE NATION LOS ANGELES
    lol i hole dam wat the hell was it

9. geekygoddess macrumors member

A hole? Wow, odd. You will probably end up getting a brand new machine. Wouldn't that be lovely.:D

10. MacBain thread starter macrumors newbie

I doubt they will admit anything as it's their word against mine.

Maybe they are honest people, but the fact that they send it back to me with a hole/scratch, pretty much has ":apple: didn't do it" written all over it...

11. tytanic11 macrumors member

I'd expect Apple to take care of ya; I think they have a pretty good history of fixing things like that. It is entirely possible for laptops to have holes in the outermost protective layer of the screen without anything leaking, etc. - I've seen them on Powerbooks before

12. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It could be a hole, it could be chocolate. Why didn't you wait to find out from Apple what it is before starting this thread?

13. MacBain thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry. I was just frustrated after waiting 28 days, and then having to give it back to them. You're right, I should give them a chance to look at it first.

14. stiphone macrumors regular

A HOLE?? Goodness me.... chocolate?? Mmmm....nice...

anyway, i had a bad experience with Apple too. I had my MBP keyboard replaced and they called me down to the store to collect it after 1 day. I thought that it was really fast and efficient service. I got my wife to collect it for me since she was in the area and I'm anxious to see my MBP again. (Miss it after a day)

Anyway, when i got back home, I opened the package and was surprised to see that it was a black MacBook. I was confused. After powering it up, i found out that it was somebody else's MacBook. It scared the hell out of me that they could give someone else's MacBook to someone else.

I called them back and complained about it. Eventually, they said that my MBP have not been fixed yet and that they accidentally gave me the wrong MB. I was furious as I would not like my MBP to end up in someone else's hands.

In the end, they gave me a 10% discount card to be used on any items in the store to shut me up!!

That experience alone gives me the shivers....

15. MacBain thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the story with update:

My mbp is slow and i run hardwaretest. It shows errorcode: 4vdc/1/40000003: Videocontroller.
    (10/5) I take a photo of the screen with the errorcode.
    (13/5/) I bring a print of this and my computer to humac (danish applestore) where they take it in for repair. They can't find the error with their software and they get my system CD too. They now see the error and change my motherboard.
    (10/6) I get it back but while checking for scratches in the humac store I discover a scratch/hole in the middle of the screen and i give it back to them to get it fixed.
    (16/6) I get it back with the note. They don't think that they made the scratch. I discover that there is no scratch on the photo i took (10/5) and take a new one for reference.

The following weeks i confront them with the photos and complaint to: Humac service (they don't care), The boss of humac Denmark. (he doesn't care), The boss of Apple Denmark (he doesn't even answer my mail).

I don't know what to do more, since i have proof. They don't care about the proof.

I run hardwaretest again and the errorcode is back: 4vdc/1/40000003: Videocontroller. (It wasn't there when i got it 16/6)

(18/7) I give my mbp and my system CD back to humac to get it fixed again.
    30/7) I get it back. Nothing fixed but with a burned CD with their own Hardwaretest showing no error. Mine still shows the error, but apparently it is a bug on my system CD, that makes the computer think it has a error.

Nice solution humac!

So, now if i have to re sell it, i have to give discount because of the scratch, and explain that "sure the system disk shows an error big enough to change the motherboard, but look at this burned CD. It shows no error."

I guess im pretty much stuck with this machine till it dies. Probably sooner than later.

That's my story, thanks for reading.

Below Bridge-screens of "before" and "after" photos of the hole ( I still have the originals but what difference does it make)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

17. MacBain thread starter macrumors newbie

What does that mean?

18. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

LAWLZ

20. mladenz macrumors regular

my harddisk broke once and i brought it to an apple reseller, they fixxed the problem by solving something software things. I got it back, took it home. And the harddisk made the same damn noise... so i again brought it to the same apple reseller, they replaced the harddisk. So i got home, and guess what? AGAIN! but thats not all! They left things behind the glass, scratched my glass and damaged my aliminium case of my imac.

I dont want to post a thread on this but will another apple reseller fix this?

21. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

probably just chocolate. did you lick it to check?

22. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Everyone knows that will give you tongue cancer.