There's a New Search Engine on the Block!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shake 'n' Bake, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

There's a new, for lack of a better description, Mac-themed search engine.

Wait! Don't leave yet. There's more.

This new search engine is called Mac Search (silly name, I know. If you've got suggestions for a better one, mention it).

I know there's already MRoogle. MRoogle is an invaluable tool for searching MR. In fact, I think it does MR specific stuff better than Mac Search. I'm not trying to eclipse MRoogle. I'm adding a new item to your search toolbox.

Mac Search is a Google Custom Search. That means it is based upon Google and it searches and indexes pages from multiple sites. Currently, Mac Search searches 19 sites, with approximately 39,100 pages indexed. Mac Search goes beyond the scope of MRoogle by searching for not only MR things, but KB articles, any type of Apple manual and threads and articles from more than a few sites (including MR), just to name a few. If you'd like a complete list, please say so.

It started in mid June and since then there have been 154 queries as of yesterday. I'd tell you the most popular query, but none were popular enough to be listed.

On the downside, there isn't the ability to sort by date, but there are several refinements. To see what they are, do a search.

As of now, it's pretty boring and desolate, but it works. If I can get a job next year (no, I was not laid off), I may buy some space to host the search and results on my own site.

As of now, there are three contributors, all of them MR members. Two of the three have been lazy, and not done anything. Their aliases will not be listed. The third contributor, however, has been spectacular. This person has added ten sites to Mac Search's arsenal. This person is celticpride678. I'd like to thank them for their work.

Thanks for your interest. The link is kinda crazy, so you may want to bookmark it for future use. (This may sound arrogant, but) Better yet, put it in your sig. I don't really have a format, other than bolding (I really should have one). But again, I'm open to suggestions.

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Nice post...thanks for the information. This may come in handy. :)

3. celticpride678

Thanks for the interest in the search. If you like it, tell all of your friends about it. Once again, thanks.

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

No need to thank me, it is a good tool. Hopefully other people start looking at this thread in the near term future. I really hate it when people overlook the good ones.

5. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I asked to have the title changed to something a bit more flamboyant and, IMO, its a bit arrogant as well.

I'm going to experiment with some different font colors and see what I like. If you've got a suggestion, please post it.

Mac Search

I like the above. The font could use some work, though.

This leaves 84 characters for a sig. If you've got a "lighter-weight," non-monochromatic gradient, please post it.

Mac Search

I prefer this, actually. Its brighter.

What do you think? It leaves 85 characters. I just added the end because I wanted an alliteration. You don't have to add it if you put a Mac Search link in your sig.

To get the code, quote this post and copy the first paragraph. Then hit the back button in your browser.

6. ethical macrumors 68000

This looks really interesting and is a really good idea. Filters out all the rubbish and only searches the good sites! Added to my bookmarks toolbar :)

7. celticpride678

Thanks for searching.

8. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Great idea. It is really nice and easy to use.

9. celticpride678

Thanks for the feedback. If you like it, please tell everyone you can here on Mac Rumors and everywhere else. Once again, thanks a lot.

10. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

You should change your Mac Search link in your signature. The yellows do not work or translate on a monitor. Currently it visually communicates: Mac S rch

Keep it Simple.

11. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I see that. I think it does need to be changed.

What do you think of this: Mac Search

I've changed mine to: Mac Search.

I don't really want for everyone who puts a link in their sig to have the same colors, as long as its a non-monochromatic, bolded gradient.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

loving this search engine!! seems very useful!!

however, i searched my username and it only came up with 94 results (i get over 4,000 with google) - does it need more time to index more or something?? also, i would like to see how many results are given when i search for something..

other then that, GREAT! i might out it in my sig, if thats ok?

13. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Google is a whole-web search, whereas Mac Search searches the below sites.

You may want to send that results thing to Google, because the format isn't the most customizable. If I could add it, I would.

No need to put it in your sig.

Attached Files:

14. celticpride678

Thanks.

We are still working on the indexing and adding more sites to search for. Also, if you have any interesting ideas, please contact Shake'n'Bake

15. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

It's better. At least I can see all the letters. Though the colors are both not complimentary and not different enough on the spectrum to call it a success. Look at, obviously, Google's logo.. but I digress.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i know, but i get over 4,000 results in google FROM MACRUMORS.. on your version i get 94.. thats a big difference. ;)

ill try, how do you do it?

ok sure thing thanks for that :)

17. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'm not sure about the results. That's interesting. Maybe it needs more time to index?

I can't find anywhere to send feedback to Google. I'll keep looking, though.

What do you guys think of this: Mac Search?

18. celticpride678

I found this link where (if you have a Google account), you can post a topic and hopefully, Google might see it.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/customsearch?hl=en

Also,

I found this feedback form that you can fill out, but it is only Radio Buttons.

http://www.google.com/support/customsearch/bin/request.py?contact_type=survey

If you would like to keep looking, take a look at this link.

http://www.google.com/support/customsearch/

19. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If anyone's interested, here are the graphs for yesterday and all-time.

Attached Files: