There's a reason it's called BETA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VSMacOne, Jun 13, 2011.

1. VSMacOne, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011

VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

In light of an increase in users upgrading to iOS5 beta thru all these websites like <url removed> and such, there seems to be a growing problem with people complaining about its performance with many apps.
    We need to push this and help people understand that by using a BETA OS, they will have bugs, there will be apps that won't work, and their phones might crash. It's a risk that developers take and end-users usually don't have to worry about most of these issues when the OS hits public release.

There is a difference between posts that recommend improvements (those posts should more importantly go to Apple Feedback) and posts that complain.

Is it THAT difficult to understand the idea behind BETAS?

http://mbarclay.net/2011/06/13/ios5-theres-a-reason-its-called-beta-software/

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/06/13/ios-5-beta

And here's another great article on the subject from tipb: http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/13/psa-...eed:+TheIphoneBlog+(TiPb:+iPhone,+iPad,+iPod)

2. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I don't care who uses a beta. It's your device and ultimately your risk. My concern is that the rapid selling of and begging for UDID registrations is going to lead Apple to implement other, more strict, requirements that make it more difficult and annoying for actual developers.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

We know. We are allowed to have our opinions and openly voice them. It's called the INTERNET. Chew on that thought for awhile before you post next time. Who cares? I certainly don't. Not about whiners anyway.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

What's your point, OP?

People know it's beta. And? It lags and it's buggy as expected. Are people not allowed to point that out or something? :rolleyes:

5. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OK somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I clearly don't have a problem with people voicing their opinions, only with how these out of place opinions (in this instance of iOS5 BETA) can have a negative effect on other users and developers like the post above.

It's pointless and stupid to give a bad rating to an app because it doesn't work well with iOS5... DUH, it's not MADE to work well with iOS5 yet!

I like to have early access to Betas and would like to keep doing that! If the complaining keeps up, Apple might change the rules for Dev accounts!

6. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

7. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I agree with the OP. I think most people ignore the fact that this is in fact TESTING software. I bet if you did a poll on MacRumors and people answered honestly you would see most people install the beta just to have the latest and greatest NOT to test and report bugs and test apps etc...

As far as the UDID garbage goes, I got 52 requests the first day I got my dev. account, luckily I am a pretty cool guy and registered their UDID's but something has to change.

Good post OP. :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Says the person who bought a dev account just to install iOS5 beta......

And for me, seeing the Gruber article definitely put a new spin on it I haven't considered. After checking my own apps, I now see a deluge of negative reviews stating they don't work on iOS 5. Definitely grinds my chops a bit.

9. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

But that's fine if he wanted to buy a dev account just to install iOS5! That's not the problem! I did the same things. But am I going around complaining that it's not working with this app or that? No! Because I understand the idea of Beta.

i'm not trying to grind anybody's chops here, I'm just trying to help spread the fact that a beta is a beta and people should treat it as such, and not have the same expectations as they do from a Public Release OS.

10. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yeah, and I know how to properly test out iOS 5. I report several bugs, almost daily and go through the pain stakingly process of writing about what the bug does, how its reproduced and adding your information as far as PC/Mac and the hardware config. for your PC/Mac. I've reported 22 "bugs" so don't tell me I bought a dev account just to get iOS5 so I could have the latest and greatest.

11. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Thank you VSMacOne, for understanding.

12. ulbador, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

And by registering 52 UDIDs you exascerbated the exact problem this thread discusses.

13. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

It's made worse by commoners buying into it with SSID activations, Apple should really put a stop to that.

Genuine devs know the score and don't make one star reviews on apps that fail in beta software, that really is dumb

14. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you've been reading the forums or not but I see MANY threads on why does this app crash and "my iphone is really hot running iOS 5 what gives".

So to respond to your statement.. NO a lot of people don't know what a beta is....

Beta's should be for developers that can test their OWN apps and adjust what needs to be adjusted to get it to work with the new OS.

If your battery is draining to fast running that OS, it just might cause the OS isn't refined yet...

Many developers have another iphone or ipad that is their TEST device. I'm betting a lot of people paid for the developer account just to get the new iOS and realizing it's not so great until they finally release..

I agree with the OP......

James

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed with OP, im not gonna get in the who should have it and who should not but you nailed it when you said some people do not know what "beta" means

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Can't blame the users. Most people don't know what betas are. Plus Apple uses the phrase for versions that can have a lot of broken legacy APIs..

So I think Gruber has a very good point, that Apple needs to prevent app reviews from anyone using a beta OS. This thread could disappear if Apple did that.

Never has before. Apple loves to brag about how many "developers" have paid to register.

What Apple should do, is take advantage of all the users, and require that each device submit crash reports daily over WiFi.

17. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

What is this "problem" you speak of? Who is being harmed or inconvenienced? If the complaint's bother you, don't read them. Don't let it get to you.

18. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I wasn't referring to legitimate paid developers. I was speaking of the paid "developers" that willingly and knowingly violate the NDA they agreed to by registering UDIDs for anyone any everyone. After that, they run their mouths in public about all the cool new features, which is clearly confidential information.

19. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The problem is as mentioned above. An otherwise great app gets trashed by a bunch of people running a beta who clearly don't understand what beta means.

20. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I also wasn't referring to real developers.

The first time a beta came out, the number of "developers" jumped as soon as people found out they could make a ton of money by selling "test" profiles. We were all sure that Apple would be angry and stop it.

Instead, they bragged about how many "developers" had joined up. Go figure.
    Again, something which Apple seems to ignore.

If these actions don't bother Apple, then who are we to get upset over it.

The real concern in this thread is over the bogus reviews with "ios 5". Apple needs to prevent them from being visible to anyone other than the app's developers.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I agree complaining about bugs, or things running slow or battery draining in Beta is not valuable. IT IS A BETA. That means a lot of things are not optimizing yet and often times you have a lot of extra services turned on for debugging that will not be turned on in the final release.

Now complaining about features or poor UI in some areas yes I find that acceptable as it is feature locked. Apple is not going to change the UI or add any new features. But bugs come on it is a BETA. Beta software has bugs.

23. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Agreed. And any way you look at it, complaining here isn't likely to lead to a resolution, regardless.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

chances are those NDA could never be enforced and if Apple even tried to enforce them they would be thrown out of court and sure as heck would cost a lot more money than they could every hope to recover.