There's "no such thing" as a iPod Touch, 3d gen, 8gb?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gamecube117, Sep 11, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

I sold my iPod Touch, 3d gen, 8gb, for $80 that I got for free from the last iPod Touch/Macbook promotion before they discontinued it.

But apparently, there's no such thing as a "iPod Touch - 3g, 8gb" (it only comes in 16gb and 32gb)?

I have my receipt though. It is a 3g 8gb iPod Touch. I just researched it and found out there's no such thing and it only came in 16gb and 32gb. That's really weird, they gave out the iPod Touch 8gb/3g (2009 model) for free during the last promotion in 2010 when the iPod Touch 4 (2010 model) was already out.

Can someone explain this confusion to me? I bought the Macbook Pro in Canada from the Apple store.

2. tann macrumors 68000

Hmmm. Are you sure it's a 3rd gen? I think when the 3rd gen FIRST came out they had 16/32gb and then the 8gb they sold was actually a 2nd gen. I definitely remember it on the iPod spec page where the 16/32gb was labelled as having a 'faster processer' vs the 8gb that had no such claim...

What's the latest version of iOS it can run? If it's 4.x.x then it's a 2nd gen, if it's 5.x.x it's a 3rd or higher...

3. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I think there was a 3rd gen touch in 8GB. They just stopped producing the 16GB because they weren't a popular model.
    I had an 8GB myself and exchanged it with Apple for a 32GB.

Also, they do come up on searches.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You are correct. They only updated the 16 and 32 with a slightly faster processor. This was before Apple used their own chips.

5. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

The 8g 3rd generation used the same internals as the 2nd gen, while the 32g and 64g are upgraded internals. Visually there is no distinction between the 2nd and 3rd generation, but Apple shipped the 3rd gens with ios 3 installed, thereby making the distinction between the 2nd which shipped with ios 2.

6. Moonjumper, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Was it labelled as 3G by Apple? Or a non-Apple place where you bought it? The 8GB is basically a 2nd generation model, and I'm pretty sure Apple explicitly said so.

It is just like the iPhone 4 being sold alongside the 4S, but the generations are not in the product name. Many people just assumed it was 3rd generation as it was on sale at the same time.

There is an important difference though, as the 8GB model had an arm6 processor and the 3rd generation had arm7. Many apps are built for arm7 only, and arm6 support is being phased out. Hence the following requirements on many App Store apps:

7. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

They made iPod touch 3rd gen 32 gb and 64 gb. The 8 gb models were actually just 2nd gen relabeled. The only proof I have is that mactracker (at least on ipad) doesn't have an entry for 8 gb 3rd and that according to apple, on the old iOS 4 spec page it said that wallpapers and multitasking only worked on 3rd gen 32 gb and 64 gb.

8. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

I will vouch for this as I remember checking specs when the 3rd Gen iPod Touch was announced (owner of 64gb touch).

There is no 8gb 3rd Generation iPod touch. Anyone who tries to sell you one is a down right dirty lier, and I include Apple in that because they tried to head fake people into thinking it was something other then a redressed 2nd gen.

What will leap out right away is that a "true" 3rd Generation iPod Touch has voice command for songs and can use 3.5mm earphones w/built-in microphones for input. The "fake" 8gb "3rd gen" cannot.

32 or 64 only, if you want "true" iPod Touch 3rd gen hardware.