Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Here's what I mean: Reduce motion will stop all of the parallax effects throughout the OS, but leaves one other effect on. So, why isn't there a No motion option which also turns off the Dynamic wallpaper movement? The wallpaper will still have animation, but wouldn't respond to motion like it currently does.

What do you think? Should Apple add this as an option?

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Why would you want this option? Not being sarcastic but just insure what it would serve. If you don't want motion just pick a static background.
As far as having device motion control the animation, it uses no extra battery since the OS is always monitoring the accelerometers to detect moving between landscape and portrait.

Appledict

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Dynamic wallpapers wasn't respond device's moves when this option turned on, on beta 1-2-3 but with beta 4, even if the reduce motion option turned on, dynamic wallpapers moves with device, I think it's a beta 4 bug.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'm confused. Reduce motion seems to just turn off parallax. Are there other animations I'm missing? Obviously if you have a dynamic wallpaper set, it's going to move - that's the point.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Okay, I feel like I've missed something obvious -- how do you set a dynamic wallpaper?

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Reduce motion has a strange bug on my iPhone5.

With Reduce motion off

9424259018_b2395ba6be.jpg

With Reduce motion on -- this means no motion OP

9421491083_0fab6a5a46.jpg

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011

With Reduce motion off

That is not a bug. When remove motion is off (the parallax function is on) it zooms in on your wallpaper in order to allow panning around the wallpaper image when you move your device.

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA

With Reduce motion off

That's normal. With motion on, it has to zoom on the image so that when you tilt the phone it leave room for you to see things that are off the visible screen. If it didn't zoom the image, then you would see the edge of the image when tilting the phone.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
That is not a bug. When remove motion is off (the parallax function is on) it zooms in on your wallpaper in order to allow panning around the wallpaper image when you move your device.

That's normal. With motion on, it has to zoom on the image so that when you tilt the phone it leave room for you to see things that are off the visible screen. If it didn't zoom the image, then you would see the edge of the image when tilting the phone.

It did not do that in the previous beta (the zooming in of the wallpaper).

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It did not do that in beta 3 for me.

They may have tweaked how it works. The wallpaper has to be zoomed so when you tilt the phone, you can see the wallpaper move. Otherwise, you'd be seeing black when it goes off the edge of the wallpaper.

I don't remember, but maybe in previous betas it didn't zoom in the preview, but was zoomed when applied.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
They may have tweaked how it works. The wallpaper has to be zoomed so when you tilt the phone, you can see the wallpaper move. Otherwise, you'd be seeing black when it goes off the edge of the wallpaper.

I don't remember, but maybe in previous betas it didn't zoom in the preview, but was zoomed when applied.

It was zoomed but not like in this beta.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Dynamic wallpapers wasn't respond device's moves when this option turned on, on beta 1-2-3 but with beta 4, even if the reduce motion option turned on, dynamic wallpapers moves with device, I think it's a beta 4 bug.

I never tried Reduce motion with Dynamic wallpapers in the earlier betas, so I didn't know this. Hopefully it wasn't intentional for Apple to change it, and hopefully we'll see a fix in beta 5.

----------

Why would you want this option? Not being sarcastic but just insure what it would serve. If you don't want motion just pick a static background.
As far as having device motion control the animation, it uses no extra battery since the OS is always monitoring the accelerometers to detect moving between landscape and portrait.

I still want the circles to fade in and out, but I don't want them to move when I tilt the iPod. A static version of the same wallpaper just doesn't feel as nice to me.
You're right, battery life would be the same regardless if this option was on or off. But that's not the reason why I want the option.

----------

I'm confused. Reduce motion seems to just turn off parallax. Are there other animations I'm missing? Obviously if you have a dynamic wallpaper set, it's going to move - that's the point.

Basically, I like the circles fading in and out, but I don't like the motion response of the circles. I'm sure even without the motion response they could still be classified as 'dynamic'.
As far as I'm aware, it's the only animation 'Reduce motion' doesn't turn off, as the rest are related to the 'parallax'.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I never tried Reduce motion with Dynamic wallpapers in the earlier betas, so I didn't know this. Hopefully it wasn't intentional for Apple to change it, and hopefully we'll see a fix in beta 5.

----------

I still want the circles to fade in and out, but I don't want them to move when I tilt the iPod. A static version of the same wallpaper just doesn't feel as nice to me.
You're right, battery life would be the same regardless if this option was on or off. But that's not the reason why I want the option.

----------

Basically, I like the circles fading in and out, but I don't like the motion response of the circles. I'm sure even without the motion response they could still be classified as 'dynamic'.
As far as I'm aware, it's the only animation 'Reduce motion' doesn't turn off, as the rest are related to the 'parallax'.

I'm pretty sure Reduce Motion only affects the parallax. I guess that's just how the wallpaper is.

Randysg7

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013

Dynamic wallpapers still work with the option turned on in betas 1 and 2. It's not a bug.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Dynamic Wallpapers are MEANT to move, they move regardless of if you move your device or not. Reduce Motion is meant to turn off Parallax which effects the tabs in Safari, the icons and wallpaper, the icons and pages in Multitasking, AND any "Alert" Notifications. All of these stop moving when the Parallax is turned "Off" via Reduce Motion

Appledict

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Dynamic wallpapers still work with the option turned on in betas 1 and 2. It's not a bug.

I don't know 1-2 but I'm pretty sure on beta 3, when parallax is off dynamic wallpaper's bubbles moving randomly on the screen, doesn't respond device moves and it should be that way. Now on beta 4, my parallax effect option is turned off (reduce motion is on) and bubbles moves randomly when I don't move my device but if I move, bubbles moving with my device.
So reduce motion option doesn't effect dynamics anymore, dynamics always respond device's moves and this should be a bug.

Sorry, english is not my main language so I hope you get what I'm trying to say.:(

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
I don't know 1-2 but I'm pretty sure on beta 3, when parallax is off dynamic wallpaper's bubbles moving randomly on the screen, doesn't respond device moves and it should be that way. Now on beta 4, my parallax effect option is turned off (reduce motion is on) and bubbles moves randomly when I don't move my device but if I move, bubbles moving with my device.

That's not the same as parallax at all and I never saw any difference in the dynamic wallpaper based on the Reduce Motion setting under any beta.

Parallax only controls movement of the WHOLE wallpaper, not the bubble's movement inside the dynamic wallpaper itself.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
A few of you don't seem to understand what I'm on about.
Yes, I know exactly what the Parallax effects are and I know that Reduce motion turns them off.
Yes, I know that Dynamic wallpapers were designed to react to the accelerometer, and I know that Reduce motion doesn't turn this feature off.
To make it clear: what I want is a DIFFERENT option that turns off the motion response that the Dynamic wallpapers have. The circles would still fade in and out, and would slowly move in a direction to make it feel less static. There would still be animation: IT ISN'T A STATIC WALLPAPER.

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
A few of you don't seem to understand what I'm on about.
Yes, I know exactly what the Parallax effects are and I know that Reduce motion turns them off.
Yes, I know that Dynamic wallpapers were designed to react to the accelerometer, and I know that Reduce motion doesn't turn this feature off.
To make it clear: what I want is a DIFFERENT option that turns off the motion response that the Dynamic wallpapers have. The circles would still fade in and out, and would slowly move in a direction to make it feel less static. There would still be animation: IT ISN'T A STATIC WALLPAPER.

This doesn't sound like something that should be an option, this sounds like something that should simply be provided by a different dynamic wallpaper. Presumably people will be able to add new ones at some point.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I never saw any difference in the dynamic wallpaper based on the Reduce Motion setting under any beta.

Interesting. I assume then Apple don't want it turned off? Otherwise if it were a bug it would have been fixed by now.

----------

This doesn't sound like something that should be an option, this sounds like something that should simply be provided by a different dynamic wallpaper. Presumably people will be able to add new ones at some point.

The problem is I doubt Apple will open up Dynamic wallpapers so that more can be added. I'm hoping that they add more wallpapers, preferably some that don't react to movement.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
So reduce motion option doesn't effect dynamics anymore, dynamics always respond device's moves and this should be a bug.

Sorry, english is not my main language so I hope you get what I'm trying to say.:(

They did. I turned parallax off in beta 3 and dynamic wallpaper still responded to my movement. That's how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.