Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarlie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I have a really weird problem with my relatively new 2013 rMacbook Pro.

Since I got it the trackpad hasn't seemed quite right. When I first got it I remember thinking that the left side of the trackpad was a little harder to press down than the right and the 'click' feedback didn't really feel the same for both sides.

A really strange thing is that this sensation increases the colder the Macbook is. So when I take it outside for a while and start using it the left side feels like it's broken, it almost feels like there are two levels to the click.

I had a certified apple repair shop take a look at it and they said that they couldn't find the problem after a quick look and that I would have to leave it in for closer inspection. I declined since I'm taking a bunch of programming courses at the moment and really needed the computer until those were done.

But now for the last couple of days I've been experiencing something worse. The entire trackpad gets this mushy feeling all over it until I press down on the right side a couple of times and it returns to normal. It got so bad once that I couldn't even click it down all the way.

After googling around a bit I noticed a couple of people have similar problems and in several of those cases people were saying that it might be the battery expanding.

If this is the case then I obviously need to give it to the repair shop ASAP, but right now I'm in the final moments of those programming courses and really, really need the computer.

My question is does the expanding battery hypothesis sound plausible? And if so do I need to send it to Apple as fast as possible, or could I wait two weeks until my courses are over?

The Macbook was bought three months ago so I'm not worried the warranty going out before I send it to apple, but I am worried about it breaking completely because of the battery and me not being able to use it until they send a new one.

EDIT: I should also mention that I have not spilled any liquids on it, nor have a abused the trackpad, and the guy at the repair shop assured me that there didn't seem to be anything that I could have done to cause this damage.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
The batterybtheory coukd be right as was the case in a few non retina macbooks, for safety concerns please do take your macbook and get it inspected and fixed i guesd you can wait for a few days but if it does get worse you should not wait any longer. Cause if it really is the battery and it explodes it wont be a good thing to be in.

cbecklund

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
The same thing happened to my 2011 Macbook Pros trackpad about a year or so ago. I thought it might be the battery expanding so i brought it into the apple store. Turns out it was just some dirt of some sort underneath the trackpad which caused to not click as well and they cleaned it out for free and it's been fine ever since.

mcarlie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
The same thing happened to my 2011 Macbook Pros trackpad about a year or so ago. I thought it might be the battery expanding so i brought it into the apple store. Turns out it was just some dirt of some sort underneath the trackpad which caused to not click as well and they cleaned it out for free and it's been fine ever since.

Did it seem worse when it was cold?

cbecklund

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
Did it seem worse when it was cold?

I don't remember it feeling any different if it was cold, but it was while ago so it may have.

I'd send it in when you have sometime when you'd wouldn't be using it as often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.