There's Something Very Wrong With My Macbook... Please Give Me Some Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ddalkikiss, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ddalkikiss macrumors newbie

I bought a new black macbook about 7 months ago:
    Here are the specs:
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Basically, the fan noise is getting incredibly loud and very whiny, even with just microsoft word on... It is also getting very hot to the touch... And apparently, the bottom part of my macbook (the case) has a defect- its slightly popped out... I never dropped my macbook and it has always been in a case so apparently I must have bought it like that... Also, the computer won't wake up from sleep mode sometimes, and sometimes when I push the power button to turn it on, all I see is a blank white/grey screen and nothing happens...

It has only been a couple of months and I've already been to the apple store about three times... I am a student so I don't have the time to send it in for the approx. 7 to 10 day wait period... and I am concerned that if I do not send my computer in soon, the computer will crash and all my school work will go with it. I do not have an alternate computer and I will have no time to turn it in for repair until june... I do not know what to do... When I went to the apple store, they tested it and said that there was nothing wrong with the sound (however this only happens when it's taken in), I know for certain that there is something wrong with the fan noise... My suitemates and friends who have the same computer as I do, do not have this problem... What should I do? Is there any way I would be able to get this computer replaced? I really do not have the time to send it in for repairs... What should I do?? Any help would be appreciated... Thank You!

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

1. Back up your data.

2. Send it in now or later; you'll have to do it eventually.

3. mrmaroon macrumors member

First, open Activity Monitor (Just do a finder search)

If you see any processes that, under 'CPU' have a high number, that are not in use by you, and do not look like a system process, end it. That'll learn it.

Second, have you replaced the RAM on yours? If you're on about the battery cover, just take a coin, 'unscrew' it and try to get it level with the rest of it.

4. Pacer69 macrumors member

Doesn't take 7 to 10 days

They tell you 7 to 10 days to cover their butts. My experience with Apple laptop repair has always been about 3 days and that's IT.

Your college has a computer lab, no? If not, borrow a roomie's computer for a few hours when you need to do something. Back up your stuff onto an external drive and/or to an online depot such as YouSendIt to park and still be able to access your important files, or even just email important files to yourself at your gmail account/s or whatever. You can live without your computer for a few days this way very easily. The time to take action is now!

If you don't get this fixed now, you are screwing yourself because it's going to fail very soon and it's going to do it catastrophically. That means you'll lose all your data AND your MacBook. And then you'll have to cut through a bunch of red tape and probably a few weeks of it to get another machine...if they don't just try and fix your old one. Which may or may not be fixable at that point. After which you'll have lost another large chunk of time.

Call Apple right now -- 1-800-SOS-APPL -- before it's too late.