Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Where is the AirPower? That's the question on the minds of many Apple Watch and iPhone owners as yet another event passes by without a launch date for the accessory.

Apple executives made no mention of the AirPower on stage at this year's keynote, dashing hopes that a launch date for the device might come alongside the unveiling of iOS 12, macOS Mojave, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5. It's not a huge surprise, though, as WWDC is a developer focused conference that puts software first.

In past years, Apple has unveiled hardware, but this year's event was focused on software with the sole hardware product being a new Pride Apple Watch band.

airpoweriphone8.jpg

It's now been almost nine months since the AirPower was first introduced in September alongside the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X. Apple at the time said the device would be released in 2018, and while that launch date hasn't expired, many figured it would be coming earlier in 2018 rather than later.

The AirPower is a unique Qi-based wireless charging accessory that's able to charge an iPhone (X, 8 or 8 Plus), an Apple Watch, and the AirPods (with a new Wireless Charging Case) all at once.

It's not clear why Apple's work on the AirPower is taking so long, but it could be due to the combination of different charging technologies in the device. The Apple Watch Series 3, for example, does not charge over Qi, so Apple needs to merge several wireless charging formats.

We don't know when Apple plans on releasing the AirPower, but at this point, it could be held back until September, launching alongside the new 2018 iPhones. It's also possible, though, that we'll get a surprise press release sometime this summer.

As was predicted, WWDC 2018 was entirely devoid of hardware with the exception of a single new Apple Watch band. Apple announced no new Macs or iPads, despite the fact that most of its Mac and iPad lineup is due for an update. All of these updates could come in September with the new iPhones, or Apple could elect to do another Mac and iPad-focused summer or fall event.

Article Link: There's Still No Sign of Apple's AirPower Charging Mat

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I’m certainly not a fan of this new(ish) Apple trend lately of announcing new products, then not seeing or even hearing anything more about them for nine months. Messages with iCloud sync was announced 12 months ago but just became official to consumers last week.

Apple’s Keynotes on hardware and software are starting to become “concept” videos.

“Coming later this year... Or maybe next year! We really don’t know.”

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
What’s the point of announcing a product if its not going to be released anytime soon after the announcement... I was going to buy it but now I’m not. If sales drop they might understand people don’t like to be fooled. Let them have orgasms with those stupid memojis.

So that you hesitate on buying anything from the competition while you wait.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Was never interested anyway. Don’t care.
There’s good standing charges out there, that will get my money when I have a phone that needs it.

codfromthesea

Suspended
Apr 24, 2017
more and more it feels like something that apple was too excited and got over their head and announced it prematurely but ran into issues and now they wish they never made the announcement in the first place lol

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
What’s the point of announcing a product if its not going to be released anytime soon after the announcement... I was going to buy it but now I’m not. If sales drop they might understand people don’t like to be fooled. Let them have orgasms with those stupid memojis.

It was announced in tandem with Qi charging being announced for the iPhone lineup. I’m sure Apple will go bankrupt because they lost your powermat sale.
[doublepost=1528152765][/doublepost]
What a slap in the face. No new hardware. Here’s a rainbow watch band and some other pastel colors.

It’s a software event, and the watch bands are seasonal for summer and pride. Why are you complaining that they didn’t announce this fall’s hardware early?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
It would be great if the Apple Watch Series 4 could charge via Qi.

The Series 3 does charge on some Qi chargers. The issue is the watch coil is too small for many chargers, which by design, need large coils to couple with phones. This is the same issue with some Android watches. There's no changing the laws of physics.

Reactions: xpxp2002

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
They announce things in advance to stop (most) people from buying 3rd party items in the meantime. When X came out a lot of people would have held back on buying a 3rd party Qi charger cos the AirPower Mat was 'just round the corner'.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Let's hope they are taking their time and fixing the crappy portable line.

Horrific keyboards
Underpowered ports (can't remember which one is full powered? LOL. Have a nice day.)
Cheap cost cutting

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I’m hoping they came to their senses and realized “AirPower” is a better name for actual wireless charging without a pad and are instead making breakthroughs to get that running and will surprise us all. But I live in a fantasy world sometimes.

Reactions: dontworry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.