Thermal concerns for 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flongo, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Flongo macrumors newbie

Hello.

I am about to get my first Mac and I have had my eyes on the 13" i5 MBP.
    The most intensive applications will be: Aperture, MATLAB, Mathematica, Photoshop and Logic.

I have seen many people report their 13" MBPs (2011) to be running hot.
    This is a major concern for me and it has made me consider buying the new MBA instead. Is there any basis for my concern or has these thermal issues been sorted out since the launch?

While I say it has made me consider getting the MBA instead I really like the extra power and the option to change RAM and HDD later on.

What's your take on the heat dissipation and fan noise of the current 13" MBPs?

2. CptAwesome macrumors member

I for one do use aperture and photoshop a lot to be honest with you, and it will get warm don't get me wrong, but i don't think it's unusable at all... This might be because i was used to having a windows oven on my knee for years but i honestly don't think it is a massive issue. You'll be just fine if you ask me. My 13" was a refurb too if that helps :)

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. Flongo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies- It's nice to hear some reassuring reports.

Is this because they fixed it? Or do you just think people have been overreacting earlier on?

Also- how do you find the noise levels when it's under load?

Btw. I just had a Dell laptop more or less burn up and die on me after 3 years- this is why I'm a bit cautious.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

nothing had to be fixed, people typically overreact because it is an aluminum notebook and it conducts heat well and it is easier to feel the heat than it is on a plastic notebook.

also, the way it is designed accounts for the temperatures. they had to have something "negative" (although it's nothing to worry about) when fitting all of the internals into a small form factor. there isn't much room for air flow in there.

fans can be loud but i don't really notice them ... most of the time i'll have music on or some sort of content running (video, video game volume) that sort of phases out the noise caused by the fans.

6. Flongo thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you talking about the MBP in your sig? From what I see it's a C2D machine. The complaints I've seen are mainly about the new 2011 models.

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

No major issues here, my machine runs like a dream.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

speaking on mbps in general really.

9. gblog macrumors newbie

I downloaded the iStat widget.. I freaked out when I saw CPU Temperature 65 Celsius. After doing some research, I found out that it was perfectly normal.. as long as it didnt stay like that for a long time..

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

The first MBP's idled at that temperature, it's nothing to worry about at all. MBP's have been becoming cooler and cooler as the upgrades came.

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

65* isn't anything to worry abou; when it starts getting go 90* is when you should be a little worried about it coming back down.