Thermal exhaust question RE: new MBP's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duncan75, Oct 21, 2008.

1. duncan75 macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed that the exhaust is only exposed if you have the lid open on the new mbp's? I'm trying to determine if this means that there will be thermal compromise if I shut the lid and worked primarily on an external LCD. I can't really tell if it's completely closing the exhaust when the lid shuts, or if it's being partially diverted out the bottom. Anyone else noticed this and done some temp analysis?

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

There's still a gap under the back hinge of the display that air can pass out, just like the old MBP. It's not quite as large a gap but it's still there.

3. duncan75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's what it looked like to me but I wasn't certain if it was designed to adequately allow enough air flow or not. I planned on doing some gpu intensive apps with the lid closed and didn't want to risk any overheating issues. This is my first MBP (loving it by the way), so I guess this design is something all you guys are familiar with.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You'd be surprised how many "power users" on this forum refuse to utilize elementary comprehension and reasoning and as a result, foolishly leave their lids partly open.

Queue in the newbs who say the old and late model MBP's vent from the keyboard :rolleyes: