Thermal grease for xeon 5160?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spuality, Nov 4, 2011.

1. spuality macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with two 2.66Ghz 5150's; I recently got a hold of a couple of 3.0 Ghz 5160's and would like to upgrade the processors. I've never done this before, but I've been doing a lot of research and have seen couple of great YouTube videos that lay out the entire process; it doesn't look so bad. The one thing I can't seem to find enough info on is applying the thermal grease. What kind do I get? Where do I get it? How much to I put on? Everything is is nuts'n bolts, which doesn't scare me. For some reason applying paste to my computer makes me nervous. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks everybody!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Applying the paste is pretty simple. Use rubbing alcohol to remove the old paste carefully. Then apply the new paste (about as little as a small pea). Then use something to spread the paste and make sure it has been spread equally (no holes, but be careful not to spread the paste outside of the CPU. Simply install the CPU and the heatsink after that.

A few notations:
    • Make sure to remove to old compound from the heatsink as well
    • The layer should be as thin as possible. More is not better in this case. Apply it very carefully as you can always add more later

This is something that divides people though. Some have their own preferences of applying it, and this is just how I've been taught.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

3. spuality thread starter macrumors newbie

This is perfect! Thank you. It's so nice to get on a forum and actually get the answer I was looking for. One more question: what do you use to spread the paste around? In one video I saw a guy just used his finger; any better ideas or will a finger work fine.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ice scream stick (a wooden one) or similar should be good. It doesn't really matter though, what works the best for you.

5. 617arg macrumors 6502

You can also use an old credit card or a plastic business card or similar.

6. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

agree with all of the above, but make sure whatever you use to spread it around is clean (ie; wash your hands so no oil, clean stick, clean card with a straight edge for even spread). about a thick/deep as a piece of paper is a good idea on how much to use.

for paste, i've built hundreds with arctic silver, but started using MX-2 a couple years ago when it came out and would recommend it over anything else on the market. arctic silver is conductive and you need to be very careful using/applying as it can cause problems or short circuits if it touches the wrong things. MX-2 is non-conductive, dissipates more heat (better cooling) and seems to last longer as it does not 'setup' like arctic silver. best of luck with the swap.