thermal grease?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RonJ83, Jan 2, 2008.

1. RonJ83 macrumors member

i cant believe i am writing this but i cant even begin to express my disappointment with apple right now. i purchased a macbook 2ghz to hold me over until i see the ultra portable and today i decided to upgrade the ram. upon me removing the ram there was white grease all over the module and on the pins. i have no idea what it was, it looked like white lithium grease but i can only assume its thermal grease. i plugged in my new dimms and they did not work, luckily right now i am assuming they are DOA cause the original dimms do work even after cleaning them off and plugging them back in. heres the kicker, when i removed the upgrade dimms, guess what was on them...yup white greasy stuff. i am very disappointed at this moment as my 12inch pb was a gem.

/end rant

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Several people reported poorly applied (usually way too much) thermal grease in the earlier MB & MBP model that had all the heat issues. I'm surprised this is still happening.

Cheers,

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I noticed this the other day with my brothers rev. B MacBook. I upgraded him to 2gb and upon removing the RAM I noticed white stuff on the pins. I thought my brother spilt something, but he didnt. It looked like a milk colored
    paste. I ignored it and installed the ram no problems. I just hope nothing happens later on.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if you searched more you will find that it is NOT grease...well thermal grease anyway.

its a lubricant to get the RAM into the slots easier. You even saw that it didn't affect the RAM. The new RAM is DOA.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

I have noticed the same white residue on many macbooks ram modules. I've had no problems and I also believe it's lubricant.

6. iBecks macrumors 6502

It's a lubricant used when installing the memory card during the assembly of the MacBook.