Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncan75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
I'm noticing while gaming in Vista that the new mbp definitely has thermal issues when closed. While playing fallout 3 and guild wars I'm monitoring the temps in rivatuner and they will slowly inch upwards towards 90C at which point the notebook will auto shut down. If you open the notebook however, the fans are able to decrease the temps and keep them properly managed. It only appears to be a problem after gaming for awhile with the laptop actually closed. Anybody else noticing this? It makes sense if you look at the fins on the back which are much more open with the lid raised.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
... or when playing on something soft, hehe

even when playing on my desk though open i find that games FPS drop dramatically after it really warms up...

... i think i am going to go out to frys today and pick up some Artic Silver and
"upgrade" my thermal paste

worked in the first gen MBA's so i'm sure it coudlnt hurt

toebs

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
If you do reaply thermal paste, it would be really nice if you would take som pictures and poste them here. Would really like to see if theres as much excess paste as on older models :)

duncan75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Is the right fan pulling air in and the left fan functioning as the main exhaust? I can't feel any air flow out the right vent in the back but it almost feels like an entry port and air is being pulled in.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
I went to Fry's and bought the Artic Silver 5 and the solution to take off the old stuff / prep the surface

but dummy me, my small phillips screwdriver set is all stripped, and i dont want to use it on my lappy. I will run up to radio shack or someplace in the morning and pick up a new set. I will post some pics up with some before and after temps once i get it done tomorrow

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Is the right fan pulling air in and the left fan functioning as the main exhaust? I can't feel any air flow out the right vent in the back but it almost feels like an entry port and air is being pulled in.

No, they both blow out. They're radial fans. They don't pull air through themselves, they pull it in vertically and throw it outward. That's why they sit in the windtunnel thingy. It's a duct to collect the air and force it in one direction.

duncan75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Ok, so then do you guys feel an exhaust on the right side? The hot air on mine seems to be coming out the left side but not the right. Defective fan or design? (New mbp, late 2008.)

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
... i think i am going to go out to frys today and pick up some Artic Silver and
"upgrade" my thermal paste

OMG... why do men always have to make simple things so difficult? :rolleyes:

Click this link http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3309612

These cooling pads are cheap, lightweight, compact enough to fit in your backpack. The fans work by venting the heat away from the bottom of your laptop and keeps it running cool no matter how hard you push it. The rubber stops on each side keeps my MBP from sliding off. Cool! :p

toebs

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008

These cooling pads are cheap, lightweight, compact enough to fit in your backpack. The fans work by venting the heat away from the bottom of your laptop and keeps it running cool no matter how hard you push it. The rubber stops on each side keeps my MBP from sliding off. Cool! :p

because we are curious, and don't want half-ass solutions ;)

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I would rather have a permanent solution and not have to carry another item when I travel. I may open mine up when I get home to address this issue.

Does it really void the warranty? As long as you know what you are doing and dont break anything there is no way they can know you were in there.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Why do you want to play games with the lid closed? It's like the MBP doesn't have enough problems keeping up with cooling the system without stacking the deck. When you close the lid and operate the machine you are causing multiple problems.

1. Heat that is transferred to the top case that normally radiates out is trapped by the display. Glass is a terrible conductor of heat so the heat is reflected back into the case.

2. The fans draw air into the case from the rear but also from the keyboard area. With the lid closed the airflow is reduced and since the heat is trapped in that region air that is drawn in is preheated.

3. The fan exhaust is at the rear of the machine. If you take a look the exhaust port is revealed when the lid is opened. In the lid closed position the exhaust port is covered which prevents proper exhaust flow.

If you're going to heat up your notebook you should at the very least prop up the rear. This will allow a little more cool air to circulate around the case. This is a good practice to get into. I've been using a cool pad (passive) since my first Powerbook 8 years ago. It's amazing how much heat can build up sitting on a desk or even worse a soft surface.

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
Oh, so you would rather muck around inside your machine, voiding your warranty and possibly breaking something all because you don't want a simple, inexpensive solution from a chick?

the only chick inference was from you...

boy or girl - no one is bothered.

Radio Monk33

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007

The thing is that the cooling pads aren't really the answer. The heating issue is on the inside of the laptop, not the outside! If the outside body is getting hot, the inside is already roasting. It's like blowing a fan against the outside of a car to keep the occupants cool..

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
The thing is that the cooling pads aren't really the answer. The heating issue is on the inside of the laptop, not the outside! If the outside body is getting hot, the inside is already roasting. It's like blowing a fan against the outside of a car to keep the occupants cool..

To clarify: the cooling pad works by venting the heat away from the body - not blowing air against it. :)

Also, you wouldn't know there was a heating issue on the inside if you didn't feel the heat on the outside would you?

The point is most new MBPs are running very hot. I'm offerng a simple, inexpensive, pain-free solution.

Since I purchased this nifty little laptop cooler I have had no more issues with heat. My MBP runs cool and my fan no longer ramps up like a jet engine. Works for me! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.