Thermal paste issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdamRock, Mar 3, 2011.

?

Is your 2011 MBP Over heating?

1. Yes. (Specify the temps)

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. No. (Specify the temps)

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. Its kind of over heating, but not really. (Specify the temps)

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Over heating? more like under heating. (Specify the temps)

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

So for the past week or so everyone has been complaining about the paste.

i ordered my mbp 2 hours after it got updated, and it arrived today, its been on for 6 hours (idling for the most part) and i see it idles at 100F.

under load its 150F.

either the thermal paste doesn't make the computer hotter, or the macs you guys have seen reports about are faulty or i got lucky?

2. mulo, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

maybe some chinese guy decided he wasn't going to let any more CPU's swim in thermal paste, either way you got lucky. my 2010 MBP hovers around 200F under load, as for my 2011 MBP, well its yet to arrive.
    oh and love the avatar ;)

3. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

lol that would be so hilarious if they changed how much thermal paste they put on right before they made mine...and thanks!!!

Boxxy <3

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I certainly hope they did, bout time too! evidence sadly suggests otherwise :(

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Laughable non issue reserved for OCD techoids.

The labor cost associated with the "thin application" the techoids want would be very minor - especially at Chinese labor rates. If the gobbed on paste was causing practical problems Apple, Sony, etc. would have insisted on a correction.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, I love how a few guys on internet forums seem to know better than a multi-billion dollar corporation whose profit margins depend on getting this right most of the time to avoid costly repairs and customer support.

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

8. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

a lot of people have been saying that the after they changed the thermal paste the temps went down by up too 20 degrees.

you might not think thats a lot, but if you have it on your lap, its a big difference.

9. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Ever since iFixit wrote their article saying there was alot of thermal paste but they couldn't say if it was a problem. So a bunch of people on internet forums had a hissy fit for no reason.

10. dime21 macrumors 6502

why are you measuring in F??? how bizarre. anyhow, idling at 38 C (100F) and under load at 65 C (150 F) is perfectly normal. In fact, I would say that is very cool!

My 2006 MBP idles at around 46 C and under load is 78 C. it has always been this way, no problems.

11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I definitely agree that the reaction is a little bit much. The current thermal paste application is acceptable. However, it is in no way optimal. It has, however, been adjusted since the pre-unibody overheating MBP fiasco.

12. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i like the way that F is always in the 100's so it looks more hotter then it is...ye i'm awesome like that, i use C sometimes though...

13. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

The new MBP in the sig is currently sitting ~120F/~50C while sitting on my lap right now with chrome/powerpoint/word/mail open. Doing some handbrake conversions I have been hitting ~90C. I think my "underload temp" is within normal limits but I am not sure why I idle hot when the upper limit is fine.

14. altecXP macrumors 65816

Acceptable? If I saw 21/2 that much I'd still think they failed at it.

15. David-fr macrumors 6502

Have someone gone to the Genius bar and talk about this?

It would be interesting to hear what they say or calling apple care

16. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Acceptable meaning not causing a large enough percentage of failures.

17. GamerDad macrumors member

Mine is running overall about 89 F while idling, and 128 F. I am assuming you are talking about the CPU temps?

At most the back / bottom of the computer has got "warm" to touch, but nothing I would categorize as uncomfortable. So far over the past 2 days, I am very happy with my new MBP. Hopefully it stays that way....

18. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure chrome and powerpoint might have something to do with it.

19. David-fr macrumors 6502

Yeah, try closing the finder, HUNGRY for CPU

20. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Its nice how typically people tend to like saying their problems, and well, no ones voted that they have problems... so.... thats reassuring for QA!

21. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Just because a FEW people (and a few sites) hype this as an issue is still laughable compared to the MILLIONS of users - many of them power users - who have no problems due to gobbed on thermal paste.

22. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I disagree about a lot. I've only seen a few comments. And of course, they say that. You think they would go to all that effort and say they don't see any difference?

Count individuals. Let me know when you get to 100. I doubt there are that many. And the temperatures I see them quoting are equal or slightly higher than my stock one. I encoded videos for hours and it never got over 86C.