Thermal paste replaced w AS5. Are my temps OK???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firephoenix1985, Apr 12, 2012.

1. firephoenix1985 macrumors newbie

Hello! I replaced the thermal paste on my Early 2011 high end 15" MBP a month and a half ago, and I'm wondering if this is normal. Also, take a look at the GPU diode. Note that the temps are in DEGREES CELSIUS.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Didn't I put enough thermal paste? Thank you!

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

Your temps are fine, and you should never put too much thermal paste. When it comes to paste, less is more.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Seems normal. The GPU diode is only accurate if the dedicated GPU is active.
    If it is the Intel GPU that reading goes usually down to a null value displayed as "-" after a while.

The temps seem normal. Though I would have checked temps (and corresponding fan speeds) before applying the termal paste to see how much it helped or if a second try wouldn't hurt.
    You also need to check fans because the temps will look largely the same just the fan speed changes. Before and after reapplying the TP you might have the same temps but at one time your fans run at 4000 rpm and the other at 3000.
    81C really isn't telling anybody much unless you add the load type and the fan speeds.

Less is more but too little can be very bad too. Usually you want as little as possible that if you press the heat sinks together still covers every sqmm of the center completely. If you press them together and put them apart and at some places there is no TP it is too little. Everything more than necessary is too much.

4. firephoenix1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies :) Yes, I forgot to record the previous temps and fan speeds. What really shocks me it's the 20ºC difference between heatsink temp and core temp. I think it was lower before. I have quite experience with AS5 on desktop computers, always with processors with IHS, but this is my first use on a nude processor, so I wasn't sure about the ammount. I applied and extended paste until the die was fully covered but with the minimum ammount possible. Thank you again!