thermal paste

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdamRock, Feb 28, 2011.

1. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

since everyone is saying the new MBP's have too much thermal paste, if i went to apple and told them to replace the thermal paste, would they do it, if so, how much would it cost?

2. boonlar macrumors 6502

i highly doubt they would

just do it yourself without leaving evidence you were in there

get ic diamond 7

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You can try, I did once and the GB employee looked at me like I was joking. His point was bring it back when/if something goes wrong, there's nothing they can do with a perfectly fine working machine.

4. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Just follow the steps on iFixit's guide. I see you have a 17" i7 MBP. Here is a guide. It is slightly different (heatsink mounts). Just do it slightly differently to make sure that you unscrew the heatsink...

6. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

What's the best Thermal Paste out there which helps reduce temperatures the most?

7. dnkbro macrumors regular

The difference between using good and "the best" thermal paste is at most a few degrees. Applying the correct amount of paste is far more important that the brand you use. With that said, AS5, MX-2/3, and OCZ Freeze are popular choices which a lot of people like.

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Removing thermal paste is not for the light of heart. It's not like adding RAM or a new hard drive. If you don't know what you're doing you can easily void your warranty AND fry your computer. It's such a specialized and time-consuming procedure that apple will undoubetdly ship it out to do it. Not saying don't do it, but just be very careful.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you suffering from high temps?

The more I see these too much thermal paste threads (and they've been around since the original macbook it seems), the less I really believe its a problem. More often then not, the savings from reapplying the paste is a only a few degrees Celsius. This is of course is damaging the computer in the disassembly or reassembly.

If your computer is not running excessively hot (and MBPs run hot) then I'd not risk it. If it is excessively hot, take it back to apple and get it replaced. Either way its not worth mucking with the thermal paste and voiding your warranty.

11. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I stripped down my old MacBook and did some speed tests, there's negligible difference between using the Diamond stuff and concord grape jelly. After long consideration and some time on the drawing board I decided to run an additional test with some sugar free preservatives(strawberry worked best), but I should warn you that with the artificial sweeteners sugar free jelly's and jams can be just as damaging to you as the real stuff. Don't over apply....