Thermal paste

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pfleischman, Feb 3, 2008.

1. pfleischman macrumors member

Anyone change theirs out for artic silver or another brand? I havn't seen much about this around this forum.

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I was thinking about it, but I'm pretty sure that voids your warranty and really isn't worth it unless you are overclocking (which can't be done in OS X, and I would be hesitant to do in Windows since you can't do it at the BIOS level)

So no, I won't be changing it.

3. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I considered it for my ATI card, as I've heard that the thermal paste currently in place has a tendency to melt if the card is left on too long. After some consideration though, I decided not to because as the previous poster stated, it would void my warranty.

I know someone who scraped out the thermal paste and replaced it with a layer of arctic silver, though. He did it around a month ago and he hasn't noticed any problems so far.

4. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Glad I influenced you :) Messing with the card may not directly void your warranty though, since you can buy different cards; but I would check with your local Apple store before I did anything like that.