Thermaltake HD Caddie to use with MBP.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by veehb, Mar 15, 2013.

1. veehb macrumors newbie

veehb

I see that Thermaltake has released a new SATA HD caddie, BlacX Duet 5G Snow Ediiton HDD Docking Station. I've been watching for reviews on this caddie and especially on how it works with Mac OS. In their previous model there were some problems in accessing both disk drives using Mac OSX.

I find that my 1 TB External Toshiba drive keeps getting filled up with Time Machine and is always deleting the oldest files, and this seems to take many iterations before it is done.

This new BlacX Duet 5G Snow Edition even looks like a Mac peripheral, since it s snow white. Their previous one was black. Not an issue, just an observation. I'd like to use this and then purchase some internal SATA drives to use for time machine and for other backups and additional data storage.

Has anyone had experience with this new caddie? I'm using a MBPro 2011 version running Lion OSX 10.8.2.

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

If that is an issue for you, then you might also want to look at Icy Box's offerings, which are even more Mac-like in brushed aluminium-effect and white plastic, including one with Firewire

If you've got a 2011 Mac without USB3 then this will be faster than USB2!

I haven't used mine heavily enough for an unqualified recommendation, but I've done a couple of whole-drive backups without issue.

They also do dual-drive, USB3 and eSATA versions.