These 2 windows pop up on start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by backinblack875, Jan 8, 2012.

1. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

They are un-related i believe, because the Qmaster one has been doing it for a while and the finder window is more recent. So how do i stop these from popping up on startup??

thanks

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

thanks ill check that out.

and yes i am running lion and i do that every time and it still pops up. Qmaster popped up on leopard too.

4. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Why don't you just use the Go command to go to the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and move qmaster to the desktop? Then reinstall Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, and/or Shake, if you still use any of those programs.

Once it's re-installed, you can delete the copy on the desktop.

5. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

i was just about to say what GGJstudios suggested worked for the finder window but not the Qmaster. and i went to the folder and these (pic) are the contents, i wasn't sure what they are for and what would happen if i deleted them.

So there for final cut?? i don't have/use that so i can delete them?? can i delete the whole Qmaster folder or just the contents inside it?? thanks.

Attached Files:

6. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Wikipedia says that Qmaster is only used for Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, or Shake. So theoretically, if you don't use any of those, I suppose you could just nuke the entire folder - BUT I have never used those programs myself, and when I used to try deleting things like that when I was younger, I ended up breaking some programs I really wanted.

So why not play it safe and just disable Qmaster by moving it to the Desktop or a backup disk? Once you are POSITIVE you haven't broken anything, then you can delete it. Disabling it should be enough to make the annoying message go away anyway.