These are probably dumb questions...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jrko, May 19, 2011.

1. jrko macrumors regular

I'm looking at getting an iPad2 16Gb. My 8Gb iPhone is half empty and I manage my data pretty well.

I will be using the iPad as a digital portfolio. If i resize my images to 1024x768 jpegs they average around 500kb. Assuming several hundred photos it leaves loads of room within the 16Gb limit.

So the questions are.........is there a storage benefit to downsizing the images? Do full size pix get downsized automatically (file size) to the correct resolution or do they just waste a whole heap of space?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

If you are syncing images from a PC, the images will stay just like they are on the source drive. If you want them changed, you'll need to do that before syncing.

I'm not a photographer, but I don't think resizing them would be worth it.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

No, I don't believe itunes downsizes photos on your behalf.

You wouldn't want to anyway. If it's your portfolio it'd be nice to quickly zoom into show the details of shot to a potential client. Consider the 32GB if you're concerned for space, but I'm not sure it'd be needed.

I would think you'd tailor your portfolio presentation to the particular potential client you're meeting with. i.e. you'd preselect at most a few dozen of the best images that show your style/range and match their interest; you wouldn't want to overwhelm them with hundreds of images.

4. jrko thread starter macrumors regular

now we're getting somewhere.

Whats the max zoom in on the iPad 2? Is it a set number or is it dependant on the image size (pixels X by X)?

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

iTunes will re-encode images to a lower resolution with some crappy encoding scheme which actually increases the file size. Here's some info from Apple.

I've noticed compression artefacts when syncing images to non-retina devices* which simply weren't apparent on the original, it's seriously annoying.

*I can't speak for retina devices, maybe the situation has improved since then

6. jrko thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way of getting pix to the ipad (not using iPhoto) that wont ruin them?

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I guess it depends on what you mean by "ruin".

I'm no expert and can't speak to the image degradation concerns voiced, but a lot of professions do seem successfully to use ipads for a digital portfolio.

I'd suggest giving it a try if you can get an ipad from somewhere you can return it to if dissatisfied

8. aGr macrumors newbie

9. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud