These are things I just cant understand...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gixxerredliner, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

1. ppl asking others which phone they should get between an iphone and blackberry bold. What ever happened to testing the product in store and deciding for yourself?

2. ppl holding off on buying an iphone because of the "RUMOR" 32 gb iphone soon to be released, once again RUMOR.

3. ppl purchasing an iphone with a at&t plan and data package and complain about the price of the data package as if you arent getting what you pay for.

4. ppl owning an iphone 3g and than ditching it for a T-MOBILE G1, BOLD, STORM etc.... why not just stick with the phone you know fuctions the best? is it the data price that leads you to sway?

What are some things you just cant understand regarding the apple iphone?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol i dont understand why the iphone is crippled in the simplest features

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I can't understand why people won't recourse the full capabilities of a gadget before even buying it rather than complaining in the end.

4. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

True

I think if you buy the phone. you have 30 days to try it out. These phones...you need to try it out yourself before you judge. Dont go by what others say...:apple:

5. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

I'll try to answer some of your "questions"

1. When you go into a store, most of the time you can't test out anything. The floor models are usually "fake" versions of the actual phone. The only phone I have ever been able to "play with" before buying was the iPhone...and what this does is create a false sense of which is better because when you can't actually compare them, you're swayed.

2. I held off for almost a year waiting for the Meisu m8 and it's promised features. The reason was because it would have suited my needs better. If you're in no rush to get a phone, and you need more space (heavy music/movie user) then why not wait?

If it turns out to be untrue, then you can assess the market at that time. This is called being an informed, and cautious consumer, which is better than being a "Gotta have it now" type.

3. Be honest with yourself....mobile phones are expensive. I think most people complain about the prices because they're all over the place and change so often. I pay $30/month for 6 Gigs, but others are paying the same for 1 Gig. How is this a fair deal?

$30 a month for data alone is roughly the same cost as broadband internet. Only not anywhere near as fast, limited to 1 Gig (6 in my case), not always available, and costly if you're away from home (when you need it most).

It's a rip off no matter how you look at it.

4. It's a fallacy to think that the iPhone is the best. Everyone has different needs and assuming the iPhone meets all those needs is a bold statement. I would ditch my iPhone today if it wasn't so much trouble because I personally find it to be more of a hassle than a convenience.

I hate having to baby the thing because if I happen to put it down too hard I fear it might crack the plastic. I fear that if I put it in my bookbag it'll get smashed.

Just because Steve Mobs puts out a phone doesn't mean it's the greatest thing ever to hit the earth. If you're like me and see Apple as nothing more than another company, it's easy to see that there are a LOT of flaws with how they run things, and the products they put out. I am no fanboy, so I have no loyalty to this phone...I simply want what will work best for me.

Actually, here in Canada you have 15 days or 30 minutes of talk time, whatever comes first.

I actually made my first phone call to a friend the first day and I was telling him about the phone...I talked for 28 minutes, and then checked my voicemail twice....Rogers charges by the minute so I was over my 30 minute min....which means, no returns.

No other electronics company has these stupid rules. Imagine if you bought an external hard drive for your computer and the rule was you could only put 30 megs of data on it before they wouldn't let you take it back. What if you got a TV, and if you watched more than 30 minutes of it, you couldn't take it back.

The system is set up to trap people into contracts and their phones. They want you paying as much as possible all the time. They want you over a barrel so you rely on the device, and continue to keep paying.

Many people do, but not everyone has unlimited time to dedicate to research. I spent 4 weeks researching the iPhone and I STILL had to deal with 2 problem phones. It was not until I started using it was I able to see that perhaps I should have made a different choice, but now I'm locked into a 3 year contract so what can I do?

6. spikedfo macrumors regular

To me, i just like new gadgets. using and researching them is one of my hobbies.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So I guess the floor models in the Apple store that I was making/receiving calls off of, playing music, and surfing the internet weren't fully functional? I guess people are not only willing to buy products they haven't fully researched, but will also buy products they've never actually seen. Good times.

I'm also pretty sure your beef is with Rogers, not Apple. If I buy something from Best Buy and do something I know will make it un-returnable, who am I going to get angry at, Best Buy or the manufacturer?

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you can't buy an iPhone at the apple store here in Canada. HOWEVER, every rogers I've gone into has a fully functioning floor model for the iPhone.

Onething that really bothers mr is when Americans complain about THEIR plans. Little do these ignorant peoe know is that they have it 100x better. Here in Canada you can't even call within the same province unless your charged long distance. I've looked at what AT&T offers and it's incredible. You guys got rollover minutes and nation calling that you aren't charged LD for.

9. firewood macrumors 604

The OPs questions have almost nothing to do with the iPhone, and everything to do with consumer psychology. Read a consumer behavior or consumer marketing book, and you will find that consumers do not typically always behave "logically"; therefore most companies do "illogical" things to maximize sales, which is completely logical.

10. firewood macrumors 604

because they can sell all the iPhones they can make, and without paying the salary of even more engineers...

11. iLoveApples Guest

Personally, I love this phone. I probably don't need a hundred of its functions, but I still find myself playing around with it all day. This phone immediately made me an Apple fan-boy. Halo-effect, for sure.

It's gorgeous, and while I don't like how fragile it is, I think it's amazing looking for a gadget. And yes, my AT&T plan is expensive - way more than I paid at Verizon - but I paid the early-cancellation plan without hesitation. This phone is just entirely cool.

My next purchase will be an iMac. I'm just waiting to see if they come out with a touch screen like the new HP. And yes, I just got way off topic, but this is in regards to the ppl (lol) that own/use their iPhone but aren't happy with it.

My opinion, just cancel your plan. It's really not that hard. Go get a phone that makes you happy... Wow

I don't understand people that join a forum and then complain about the product. Take it elsewhere... And Canadians that don't like ignorant Americans. You can leave too.

:apple: :)

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

But anyways... let's compare shall we?

For $25/month, I get

200 weekday minutes LOCAL MINUTES, MEANING.. I CAN'T CALL A CITY THAT'S 100KM AWAY FROM ME WITHOUT PAYING LONG DISTANCE!
    1000 evenings and weekends minutes starting at 6
    My10
    (that's a student package).

On top of that I have to pay $15 iPhone package for 2500, yes that's right... 2500 not unlimited, SMS, Caller ID, voicemail

And on top of everything another $30 for 6GB of Data.

And on top of that... (yes there's more) a retarded 6.95 SYSTEM ACCESS FEE and the regular 50 cent 911 fee...

So in total, I pay around $86 after taxes and I don't get rollover minutes, unlimited data or get to call my parents if I'm in another city other than what's surrounding my area and I have to pay a scam access fee.

Also.. mind you the student package is only available to students with valid ID. If I want something along those lines and I wasn't a student, it would be $35 for my5 (not my10) and around 200 minutes as well.

Let me see what plans you guys have, that are 100x better.

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The only rumor here is when it will come out, not if it will come out. What's wrong with people waiting for something that will suit them better?

14. pavvento macrumors 6502

First off, if you're going to be calling people ignorant, you might want to check your spelling.

Secondly, there is no doubt in my mind that we have better calling plans and data plans than Canadians, but that doesn't mean they are great. People look at how the plan is in their life, not in the lives of people in other countries. If I get a paycut of $5,000 and that has a big effect on my life, should I not complain because someone else had a paycut of $10,000?

I am not a fan of people complaining about the plans, because when you bought the phone you accepted that it was part of the cost. If you don't agree with the plan, don't sign up for it.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh how i love the rational some people use to explain why some features are absent on the iphone but are present on every other phone out there:rolleyes:

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Aren't you guys on roaming if yall go out of city? and also you can't call outside your city/state w/o paying Long Distance? and also Voicemail..extra, 911 extra.

We have it made :D

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yeah and when you roam your paying long distance. It sucks thats why I feel like punching everyone who creates a thread bashing AT&T. :p

18. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Please go back and read my post again....as well, go walk into a store that sells Blackberrys and ask to test out the floor model, let me know how that goes.

No, by beef is with both. Apple and Rogers have an exclusive agreement making them one in the same. If I had the option (a realistic option) to buy the phone then use it on any carrier, then I would have chosen one that suited me better.

If I go to bestbuy...most of the things I buy there can be returned (aside from games/music unless they're wrecked) even if I use them. The iPhone is the only electronic device I have owned that doesn't allow a return policy if you use it. The only other time I have heard this is when you buy underwear....no returns on used underwear if you don't like them.

It's simple, it's designed to "lock" you into a contract/device...however people are stupid (I'm one of them) and will buy into it because what choice do you really have?

19. efice32 macrumors 6502

Their point is that you not being able to return the iPhone after using it for 30 minutes is a Rogers decision, not an Apple one. If it was an Apple decision, it would be like that on most/all the carriers the iPhone is sold on worldwide.

Also I can go into any store that sells blackberrys and use a fully functioning version of that phone. Heck, I even downloaded the google maps app on a Blackberry Bold in the store and played around with it. Again, it seems like a Rogers issue.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Just maybe now (just maybe), #3 is happening because #1 didn't happen before they actually bought the phone. Instead, the went on MRs first to read the flame wars, then made a decision based upon other people's preferences. Yeah, pretty dumb...

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Whoa dude, first of all, you have to calm down. AT&T is hands-down THE most expensive cellphone carrier in the US. Other carriers offer plans that are much, much cheaper. And you cannot compare 2 cellphone carriers in different countries as there are different laws and different taxes. That's like me bitching about people in England who don't have to pay for incoming calls.

You should not be mad at Americans who bitch about their cellphone costs. You should be made at your own elected officials and Rogers for setting the prices and charging high taxes. And if your still pissed, you can immigrate south. We like pissed off Canadians, eh?.

22. pavvento macrumors 6502

I agree. People tend to generalize their experience and think that's how it is everywhere.

23. ClayMac macrumors member

What I just can't understand about the iphone?

For the last couple of months I have been checking this board expecting something different. Yet every time I log on, I have to wade through the complainers to find something worth reading. For the longest time this befuddled me. These people come on here and complain about the same things that have been complained about over and over...and over. But I realized that for most, getting an iphone is a large investment. They gotta shell out a bundle of cash and they expect perfection for that kind of money. Its like a Mercedes or Lexus, those expansive cars hardly ever get glowing reviews because the consumer expects them to be spot on perfect. But in the end the reality is that the iphone, Rogers, AT&t, and the world are not perfect and these people are having trouble coming to grips with that.

I can't understand why with the millions of iphone's sold, there aren't more complainers in here. How, even though I have to wade though the biching I am still able to find something somewhat interesting to read.:apple:

24. pavvento macrumors 6502

IMO the problem isn't people complaining, it's people thinking that their complaints and thoughts are so profound that they need to start a new thread to reiterate something that has been said a million times. For crying out loud, this entire forum can probably be consolidated into about 30 threads.

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK, with over 20 bickering and off topic posts deleted and some post reports, this thread has needed far too much nursing over its short life... the OP never responded once to any replies... and as pointed out, it covers no new ground.

Go to bed, little thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.