These Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Nov 19, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

2. Colton534 macrumors member

You know, these things look cool but in all reality they wont be to much better than the ten dollar walmart speakers. with a sub that only puts out 5 max watts they often result in disappointment. if you're not listening to music any louder than laptop speakers can put out than they will sound alright. any louder and they just don't have the power. all looks, no performance.

3. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

All inexpensive PC speakers are the same. They're mostly overpriced junk, and they sound like it. Either spend $10 on a pair of speakers, or spend $1000. Buying anything in the middle is a waste of money.

If you want to buy some nice ones, I recommend a pair of NHT M-00 speakers. They're sold individually FYI, so you'll need to buy two of them. Used to be ~$1000 for a pair, but I see some online retailers selling them for as low as $750.

Personally, if I need new PC speakers, I would go over to the dumpster at the local University at the end of the year. Dozens of PC's and speakers and monitors get tossed into the trash by the students at the end of each year. Free speakers!!

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have a pair of Behringer MS40's that I love. They are hooked up to my Mac Pro via Optical. No complaints at all. No sub either.

Good luck!

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That's just not true. Most people are going to be so amazed at the sound of the $500 speakers they aren't going to know the difference. With that being said, most monitors are well under that price and they seem fine for the people that make music.

By the way, by your logic, no one should buy the speakers you bought.
    [​IMG]

6. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

"The people that make music" tend to prefer Genelec's, which can be $8,000 and more, for a single pair. How many production studios have you been in? None? Yeah, thought so.

The fact is, all "big box store" and "newegg" desktop speakers are the same. Some have a subwoofer, some dont. But the sound quality on all of them is garbage. No point in spending any real money on them. Get the cheapest pair they sell, or buy some used ones from the Good Will store.

Please tell me, which speakers did I buy? :confused: I'm using the built-in speakers on my MBP.

Sorry goldenkid, Your logic = fail. Thanks for playing, better luck next time.

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'm sorry, but anyone with ears that can't tell a difference between $10 Wal-Mart speakers and anything else under $1000 certainly isn't someone you should take speaker advice from. There are significant quality differences between many speakers even under $100.

That said, I've never heard of Soyntec, and although the speakers look cool, I really do think sticking to established brands would be more prudent. Altec Lansing's Expressionist line, for example, has decent sound quality for the money, and the styling kind of fits in with the speakers the OP asked about originally.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Oops, only like 10. You clearly didn't see my signature and it's not the VXT crap, it's E8's, V88s and Series I's at home.

There is a large difference between a pair of $10 speakers and a $100 2.1 system. If the end-user can't tell the difference, what's the point. Oh, don't get off on this point either. I know the difference between a pair of 2.1's and my KRK's, I also know the difference I stated in the former.

My bad, I assume when someone recommends speakers they have spent time with them more then on the internet. Like proper burn-in, fully testing them across a wide-spectrum of music, etc - sorta like owning them?

So here's your logic:
    Buy a $10 pair of speakers or buy a $1000 pair, anything $11-$999 isn't worth it. (Now, there are some problems that have been pointed out about that, but for the sake of this - we will just go with it)

Now, those NHT speakers sell directly for $249 a piece, therefore purchasing a pair would not be worth it.

(Don't claim that when you looked at them last, they were $499, because according to the CNet review, posted on NHT's website, they were $249 in 2003, which seemed like their debut...)

9. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I agree with everything you just said. Nobody here has claimed that you can't tell the difference between "$10 Wal-Mart speakers and anything else under $1000". What I said was that the difference is not worth it. That's a fact. The sound you get from a $80 pair of speakers is rubbish. It may be slightly louder rubbish than a $5 pair of speakers, but it's still rubbish. It isn't going to be any more accurate or enjoyable, hence the "it's not worth it" part of my argument.

Anyone who thinks an $80 or $100 set of computer speakers "sounds pretty good" probably also believes that Bose makes really good sounding speaker systems. :rolleyes:

This makes sense, I would only buy PC speakers from an established HiFi or studio monitor vendor.

10. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I hate to use the tired old "reading comprehension" argument, but I never claimed you "can't tell the difference" between $10 and $100 speakers.

What I am claiming, is that for a 10x increase in price from the $10 pair to the $100 pair, the difference in sound quality is not worth it.

Agreed. I did own them, for about a year. And dozens of other speaker systems too for that matter. Been in the hifi hobby for a decade now, probably bought and sold $100k worth of home stereo gear in that time too. My current home stereo, if you add up the MSRP on all the components, is roughly $12k. I use an airport express and stream lossless audio files to it. I've also owned 5 or 6 of the "$10 - $100" cheapo PC speakers over the years, so I'm quite familiar with their capabilities (or lack there of).

Don't play numbers games. The point is that if you want good sound, you're not gonna get it until you're WELL above the ~$100 range that so-called "high end" PC speakers sell for at Best Buy and similar stores.

Yes, my mistake on the price of those. When I owned them, I had the S-00 subwoofer along with the two M-00 speakers. Those three pieces were exactly $1000 in total, so that's the number I had on my mind. I actually returned the subwoofer, I didn't care for it, but the two M-00's were excellent.

My mistake, I should revise my original statement and use $500 instead of $1000 as the rough price point at which you get good quality sound from your PC. But that doesn't change my original assertion, that "big box store" pc speakers are all rubbish.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The difference is:
    A. All subjective
    B. Better then the non-existent 100 times difference between the $10 speakers and the $1000 speakers

Okay? I'm going to quote Matt Engstrom, the category manager for Shure for headphones/earphones on sound, "When it comes to sound quality, everything is subjective;"

See above about sound being subjective. I agree Best Buy doesn't carry good stuff, but to say that for $100 you can find some speakers that will sound good for 90% of the population, meh? The OP clearly isn't looking at Hi-Fi stuff, I don't think it's because they are naïve, rather that they don't want to spend $1000, but they want something better then built-in's

Well, now you have just justified the arbitrary exclusion of the $500-$999. But hey, I've only been to ten studios.

12. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Sound quality is absolutely subjective....
    But if you're looking for good speakers, I might recommend something like the Klipsch ones I have on my desk now.

13. HBOC macrumors 68020

I could tell the difference between cheap ace Dynex brand $40 speakers and $60 Logitech speakers (w/o the sub). Huge difference.

And no offense, but i love, absolutely LOVE when people just non-chalantly throw in how much they have spent on stuff....

14. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

cheers guys, I live in an apartment and have the below iMac which means I wont really maxing out sound to much.

That being said for me the iMac speakers are pretty good for me. I just loved the design of the speakers.

Didnt mean to cause a big debate ;)

15. IChing macrumors regular

Spanish Tech company but they cost less at their web site. Also they are only 11 watts whereas my Creative T20s have 28 watts for the same price plus weigh twice as much. I live in a small place and can't crank out a loud noise either because of neighbors but my Creative's do fine for now but I'm looking at the Swan 10 for the future. The review is in the Peripherals section of this forum. I would suggest you listen to any speaker before you buy.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=776101

http://www.soyntec.com/dk-en/item/voizze_330_black

16. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

may i assume you don`t want to spend £250 for a speaker , but still want a acceptable sound

i have bought the jbl creature 2 , the sound is alright considering their price of just 1p below £ 50 , but then i don`t want to hear music at a decibel level the people 2 streets away start dancing in their living rooms

[​IMG]

to be honest most of the time i hear my mp3 with itunes from my iMac g3 ,these little harman kardon speakers build in are great considering their size ,
    so the creatures are connected to my eMac for watching tv and dvd`s and they go well with the design of the eMac

17. AudreeArrington macrumors newbie

Hi

Hey This site is very nice. Greetings guys, I live in an apartment and less than the iMac so I do not really maxing many votes.

Despite this, orators iMac'm not good enough for me. I love the design of the speakers. You can not cause a big debate. :D :)