These switching to "BrandX" threads are interesting.......BUT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scott99, Apr 29, 2010.

1. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I've seen tons of "I'm swtching to EVO because...." or "Should I switch to Android ?" types of threads all over the place here at Macrumors. As far as advice to people on the fence between dumping the iPhone for XXX, I've never seen people mention this. Why not just get an iPod Touch 3rd gen to do all your iPhone type of stuff (apps, music, etc), and then get the phone of your dreams if you're not happy with the iPhone. I've only seen, get the iPhone 4G, or get the iPhone challenger of the week.

I think it would be the best of both worlds, if you want to get a more advanced phone like the EVO (or any other of the new supposed iPhone killers), and still use all of you iPhone apps by using an iPod Touch 3rd gen. The Touch will also be able to take advantage the features of OS 4.0.

Me personally, I'm sticking with the iPhone, I have a 3G, my contract is up in May, so I will be getting the new iPhone in June, or July when it comes out. But if I were switching, I'd go the EVO/iPod Touch 3rd gen route.

2. deccoo macrumors member

A fair and valid point but I personally would like to avoid carrying two devices around. I want one device that meets my personal needs (excellent web browser, good call quality, wide range of quality applications)

Also, it would assume it is the phone element or the iphone you are unhappy with. If this is the case, I would go for a simple and small phone as an alternative.

3. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

I've mentioned that strategy numerous times here.

I prefer the iPad over the iTouch for size.

I will be test driving the EVO and iPhone 4 at the same time this Summer.

I don't want to jump ship, but if Apple does not deliver, I will.

4. corriewf macrumors 6502a

It's good for people to jump ship. It's good to have these threads to an extent. The threads that ask questions is fine. The ones that simply declare they are leaving are tiresome.

In the end it is good for some people to jump ship. It keeps Apple pushing to retain and gain more customers with further innovation. If for example a decent amount jump ship for the EVO, Apple may look at why they left and try to advance their tech to beyond the EVO.

Maybe with Sprint allowing tethering and Verizon, ATT might get their act together as well.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I actually picked up a myTouch 3g off a kid from craigslist yesterday EXTREMELY cheap (less than 50$). I was going to just flip it on eBay but after using it a bit I changed my mind.

Don't get me wrong, the myTouch is at best an "OK" phone. There are a handful of things I both love and hate about Android.

I think now I'm going to put my iPhone 3G up now for sale (before there are 10 million of them from people upgrading) and just use the myTouch for a month or two until the iPhone update comes out.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I was given a Nokia X6 yesterday (to sell for someone), and it's an absolute cracker. The gf wants me to give it to her. The interface, animation, speed, everything is really excellent. I've been out of the mobile phone game for about 3 years (had iPhones all that time and never looked around), but it seems as though there is some stuff being done better right now admittedly.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. Big Dave macrumors 6502

Just for the record:
    I've never had a better phone than an iPhone.
    I've never had worse service than with AT&T.

I've thought of switching because of AT&T.

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If they'd rather leave, then they had better do it and decrease the surplus population.

11. thelordnyax macrumors regular

this is no place for logical ideas and rational discussion...BEGONE!!

12. pkdoyle macrumors member

I agree and that is what I am hoping for. ATT coverage is not bad where I live (Dallas, TX area) but their refusal to allow tethering drives me up the wall. I would hate to give up my iPhone 3Gs as I have never liked anything as well.

That being said, the combination of the EVO, Sprint 4G, & tethering may prove to be too much to pass up. But I would like to think that ATT/Apple would know why people are leaving and would make changes to keep us. That makes things better for all of us!

For those of you telling the OP to leave already, if you don't want to read these posts then why are you? Read something else already! ;)

13. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Well it should be commonsense even for the fanboys. When Apple had very little competition, the updates were weak. How long did it take for MMS in the US? Yeah ATT's faut blah blah BUT Apple was putting the pressure on them. Now we are getting multitasking and you have to thank Android for that. Apple may not have put much resource into giving multitasking if it wasn't for Android competition. So I hope now Apple will be a little more aggressive.

So I might be switching to the EVO, but with the intentions that I might switch back to Apple next year. With these phones selling for the price to cover ETFs and costs of the phone, it's a viable option to switch every year.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Personally plan to get an X8; I looks sweet, though I'm not sure what Symbian^3 is all about; will my 3rd Ed. apps work? I also have a bunch of Maemo 5 apps... it's all mystery to me.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I know a lot of people are apprehensive about jailbreaking, but when I moved into my new apartment last week, I bought MyWi because I hadn't decided if I wanted to pay Cox for their crappy sub-par, overpriced service.

I can't think of any way it could look more "native" and it's only $9.99. It works perfectly and from what I've read it shouldn't be long after release that the 4.0 firmware is jailbroken. If Apple doesn't deliver, maybe you could look into that before jumping ship to another platform.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I personally think the forum is being overrun by all these non iPhone posts. I come here to read about and discuss the iPhone. If I wanted to chat about other phones I'd go to HowardForums. I think it's kind of obnoxious to see entire threads devoted to these other phones on an iPhone forum.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

Fyi

Apple doesn't make a Itouch only Madonna does. :apple: Apple makes a Touch.

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That's EXACTLY what I just did. I sold my 3GS 2 weeks ago for $700 (jb & unlk on 3.1.2) and just yesterday got a Mytouch 3G. I had a bitch of a time activating it because I could access GMAIL without changing the APN and I couldn't change the APN until I had a data connection. I had to go to a TMO store and put one of their SIMs in to activate.

There is a lot I don't like about the Android OS but it's starting to grow on me as I get used to it.. A nicer (Android) phone with a bigger screen and a newer O/S could change my mind.

19. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

iPod touch and N1 combo works perfectly for me. The only problem I have now is that I have my wifes 8gb instead of my 32gb. She has far more music than me and I also have an 160 gb Archos 5 IT with all of my stuff on so the 32gb was kind of wasted.

The extra speed from the 32gb was nice but I do prefer the cooler blue screen of her (I should say mine) 8gb 2nd gen.

20. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Overrun?

I completely disagree!

The discussion of other phones here in relation to the iPhone is a sign that the competition is being noticed by others.

The discussion of other phones in relation to the iPhone is essential for intelligent debate and productive progress.

I suggest everyone contact Apple directly with their thoughts and suggestions.

It is we the people who helped make Apple successful.

We are not just passive consumers!

21. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

There isn't a TMO store within a long drive from here. I had this problem too. Then I realized you could just hit the menu button and the only option there was to add an APN. You could do this at any time during that whole activation with google crap.

The real bitch was having to reenter all that APN crap about 4 times when I was rooting it.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Didn't know they allowed posts about non iphone related phones in the iphone forums on macrumors. Lol.

I went to Verizon to check out the incredible. Of course, not on display. Second time a new phone has come out and they don't have it on display. Nice. Great way to sell Verizon. :rolleyes:

23. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

For me, I initially bought the iPhone so that I wouldn't have to have 2 screens in my pocket (cell phone and music device). Therefore, to keep that going, if I were to switch I would switch fully to just one other phone. I also don't want to continue to have to pay for apps for 2 different ecosystems at the same time.

The iPhone is absolutely perfect for me, because it's a smartphone and iPod Touch all rolled into one small go anywhere unit.

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I read that elsewhere but on my phone that "trick" and (about 6 others) didn't work. I'm afraid to try it again and have to go T-MO begging. :)