Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloudcity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
That's actually pretty damn impressive. It's like something out of a freakin' action movie.

Yeah, but if you think about what they took, it's pretty stupid.

They took 20 MBP's that have a retail value of what, $40k? Even less when the new ones come out.

Now they have to sell those, they might make $1200 per machine on the street, so street value totalling about $24,000. Split that between a few guys, and figure all the work/risk that will go into selling them, and you made $8k to risk your life, risk going to prison, selling them to shady people, which exposes you to all kinds of law enforcement, etc...

So yeah, they are pros, and seem to be very competent, but why not use that skill to steal something valuable, rob a millionaires home for jewels, etc... (I'm not condoning, just observing...)

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010

They took 20 MBP's that have a retail value of what, $40k? Even less when the new ones come out.

Now they have to sell those, they might make $1200 per machine on the street, so street value totalling about $24,000. Split that between a few guys, and figure all the work/risk that will go into selling them, and you made $8k to risk your life, risk going to prison, selling them to shady people, which exposes you to all kinds of law enforcement, etc...

So yeah, they are pros, and seem to be very competent, but why not use that skill to steal something valuable, rob a millionaires home for jewels, etc... (I'm not condoning, just observing...)

Yeah, that's true... One would think there'd be higher-value targets in a BB. Not to mention the fact that there have to be serial numbers on record somewhere.

It's a dumb thing to do, but also impressive. Definitely not the standard smash-and-grab. I'm sure they'll get caught selling them though.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
for that kind of effort, they deserve them. But cloud does make a good point. Alot of work for a fairly small score. Not to mention every one of those should have a traceable serial number.

edit: on the plus side, the decrease in inventory can only help accelerate the new MBP release :p

21st100

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
If they put the MacBooks on Ebay as brand new they wouldnt lose alot of value.. im guessing

WorldWideOliver

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Maybe they thought that if they stole the pros, steve jobs would realize that the old books and therefore apple is now associated with criminals and that they therefore have to release the new ones now....

Actually it was me...
I confess...

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
This had to be someone on MR. They were trying to wipe out the stock in order to help bring the new MBP's out.

:D

Webb

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

Don't forget eBay...:D

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Inside job

chuck-canceled.jpg

"Don't look at me, I didn't do it!"

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
...risk your life...

Oh, I wouldn't say they risked their lives. As someone who used to do a lot of rock climbing, I can say that if they had the proper equipment, they were safer dangling from the roof than they would be trying to dash in, grab a machine, and dash out.

A basic harness + a rope tied off to keep them ~6 feet off the ground, then a rope ladder or daisy chain or some other tool to easily ascend without needing people to pull you up (or a lot of physical prowess); that part would be cake. Since laptop boxes all have these convenient handles in them now, they could lower another rope with a bunch of carabiners on it, hook up a handful of Macbooks at a time for somebody on the rool to pull back out.

Cutting the hole in the roof without the piece falling down, now that takes talent :eek:

Maczz

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2010

Ship to Brazil, you can get double $$$$.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.

Maybe they aren't using them to sell them. Maybe they are using them for some other heist... dun dun dun!

Reventon

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
That is some pretty impressive skills for a thief. They must have seen Mission Impossible. But, they should have stole something else instead of those MacBook Pros, of all the things at Best Buy they could have took.

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Isn't there a way they can track computers if they're stolen? Like lojack of something. I thought there was, but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

<Chuck snip>
"Don't look at me, I didn't do it!"

I love that show.

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Isn't there a way they can track computers if they're stolen? Like lojack of something. I thought there was, but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I love that show.

No.
I had to explain this about a billion times at the last place I worked when a self proclaimed corporate diva checked her laptop through airport luggage. It never arrived in London. Unless you installed some special software:
You cannot track a PC.
You cannot track a Mac.

I will say it again - you cannot track a laptop, desktop, buttop.
Even if you did install this magical software, unless they sign onto the internet with the machine its useless.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
That is some pretty impressive skills for a thief. They must have seen Mission Impossible. But, they should have stole something else instead of those MacBook Pros, of all the things at Best Buy they could have took.

Based on how much effort they must have put into planning this, I think they knew exactly what they wanted to go after.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Obviously an inside job, probably by high school kids with too little to occupy their time. And they took the Macs because the cameras wouldn't see them. If there was a washing machine there, they would have taken that.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.