They Come from Far and Wide...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sum 2 Three, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Sum 2 Three macrumors newbie

So, I manned up and ordered a new macbook. I went to the Apple Store, got into my school's custom educational discounts (which, to my surprise, were actually different than the standard educational discounts... I knew that I went to college for something), and placed an order.

I didn't order one of the stock builds, so it took a few days to get the computer ready. This morning, I woke up to an email saying that the computer had shipped. With my computer, I also ordered a new pair of external speakers and a case for the computer. The speakers and case shipped out of PA, but I was somewhat surprised to note that the macbook shipped out of Shanghai, China.

As a curio, I wonder if all computers ordered through Apple ship directly from China, or if it's just the non-stock setups.

Also, on an unrelated note, I've always used firefox for a browser, but I decided to give safari a try on a lark. I'm humored to find that while the firefox spell checker doesn't contain the work "macbook," the safari one does.

Peace

2. anish3232 macrumors member

All computers and ipods are shipped from China

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Strange, isn't it? You'd expect that apple would have some massive warehouse full of stock configuration machines, and that would save on shipping. Who knows, maybe they like to always have the right amount of stock?

Pretty sure they all come from china. I've heard that custom configuration models come from china as stock and get customised in the czech republic, although that may well be europe only.

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I believe so. When my iMac was shipped it was from china>alaska then to my house..I'm not sure if alaska was the last stop before it was sent to my house but it took a week or less to get to my house :)

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It's not that strange when you really think about it. They only need to be shipped once. No warehousing and inventorying here. You order it and it usually comes off the assembly line a week or less before your order. Slap a sticker on it and it shows up a week or less later. Just-in-time inventory control and Apple seems to have mastered it.

6. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Shanghai -> Anchorage -> Indianapolis -> San Jose for mine.

8. Sum 2 Three thread starter macrumors newbie

Shaghai -> Anchorage -> Memphis -> East Boston

... hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow morning... I live just across the river.

Of course, I'll have to sit in the lobby of my dorm and watch the mail come in... I don't trust a bunch of pot-smoking college kids working at the front desk not to steal my computer.

I'll admit to a bit of a cautious optimism about this new :apple:

9. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Exactly, JIT supply. It's especially valuable with things like electronics that continually lose value in the fact that they get phased out by newer models all the time.