"They did it for the Holiday Season!"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dwalls90, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This doesn't make sense.

When Apple releases a new mobile product, it sells like hot cakes ... regardless of what period of the year it was in. It did for all iPads release in the Spring, as well as the iPhone when it was released in the summer.

Guess what. When the holiday season rolled around, do you REALLY think the average Apple consumer, who was going to buy that certain Apple mobile device for their loved one, was considering: "Hmm, this MIGHT be outdated in a few months. Maybe I shouldn't buy it?". NO. They would STILL buy it for the holiday season.

Hell, even after MULTIPLE release cycles being in the same month from year to year, friends and family are STILL clueless as to Apple's release trends. If it weren't for the media, who play strictly on rumors or leaks, which obviously line up a few weeks before the keynote, then the general public would be completely uninformed.

Lastly, the issue of supply. Apple can't even get their shipping time for the iPhone 5 below 2-3 weeks. We are almost into November. I would estimate comparable demand for the iPad Mini, and plausibly even for the iPad but to a lesser extent. Think of all the orders that won't be satisfied because Apple waited too long and it's too late to fulfill consumer demand. That results in sales losses, not crazy quarterly sales gains.

2. aka777, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

aka777 macrumors 6502a

It's smart to offer the latest and greatest prior to the holidays, rather than in March.

3. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I think they leave a lot of sales on the table during the holidays by holding the refresh until March - many people know the refresh is coming and hold off - this may be permanent

4. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm confused.

"Yep Said it all day" implies you agree with me, but I'm arguing that it makes sense to release refreshes well in advance of the holiday season.

Ask your family. Ask your friends. I know when I have asked, or even when they are looking to make a purchase, we talk about it. The end result is that they are CLUELESS as to when the release cycles are.

Christmas shopping is shopping out of affection usually, not upgrade cycles ...

5. bova80 macrumors 6502a

actually it doesn't make sense to do refreshes well in advance of the holidays if you are implying march/april is well in advance. If anything that just annoys consumers who just got new gadgets for the holidays and then they are outdated in 3-4 months. I'd rather have the new stuff out right before the holidays.

6. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Usually the keynotes are March/April right? That means they are generally available in May or so.

That's about six months after receiving as a gift.

I mean, if you're getting it for "free" as a gift, are you going to complain if you receive it mid-life cycle? Most consumers don't care ... those that do can pay the premium to always have the newest and latest and use eBay.

7. aka777 macrumors 6502a

I worded that poorly. What I did mean is that I disagree and strongly believe that a tablet updated shortly prior to the holidays, allows the manufacturer to capture the holiday purchases.

A product like a tablet is a hit during holidays. Whereas, under the previous release schedule, an iPad purchased and given at the end of December has been out on the market for close to 9 months. Moreover, with an update typically right around the corner.

It makes no sense to follow this schedule for any product like a laptop, ipad, ipod, iMac etc - items that are excellent gifts. In addition, during the winter months, I am much more likely to be indoors and utilize these products. Come to think of it, I seldom purchase any Tech equip in the summer.

To the contrary, phone updates could probably wait until April or May instead. Great for when one is out and about during the summer months.

8. irDigital0l Guest

Umm...Apple started shipping iPad 3's one week after the keynote in March.

9. doboy macrumors 68000

These are the best reasons for the "early" release. I have a feeling Apple may keep this upgrade cycle from now on. March release always felt weird, few months AFTER people spent all their money on gifts. :)

10. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

The trick is to steer clear of incremental releases. As in IGNORE them unless your livelihood depends on them.
    That's been my policy for decades and I have profited from being a late adopter.