They dropped 15" cMBP option

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Idarzoid, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I checked the site and the only cMBP you can order is the 13"

Looks like they're finally dropping it, they'll probably phase out the 13" next year.

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I find it strange that they offer the 13" because at the keynote, when the entire MacBook Pro lineup was shown, there was no 13" cMBP. So why it's still available to purchase is beyond me.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The most popular computer I've seen at college campuses are the 13" cMBP (the cheapest Apple notebook with an optical drive).

I bet by next year, they will get rid of the classic MBPs though.

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Oh I know. I think I worded my post wrong - I'm not surprised that they still offer it. It will probably still sell well...despite the much-better rMBP being only $100 more.

I'm wondering why they said "and here's our whole MBP lineup" and only showed the rMBP, and left out the cMBP despite them still planning to sell it.

My guess is they're either depleting the inventory or are building them until the next refresh, at which point it will be cut.

6. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I second this post. To this day, I have only seen a handful of retina MBPs. 13" cMBP is, by far, the most popular laptop on my 20K student campus.

7. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I think I am pulling the trigger on the 13" cMBP, I did the two SDD via Optibay enclosure hack to my now ancient 13" 2009 and with the exception of the video card, it has totally ripped. The current cMBP with this same hack will be amazingly fast and I figure it will last me for at least a few years which at that point we should be in a totally different league in form factor and power.

8. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Smart choice the reason I bought my cMBP last summer (mid-2012 model). Bec. I have a hunch, they will discontinue it to their next refresh... Damn I am right. Now I have the last powerful cMBP product release with Hi-Res. let me upgrade this to 16gb and put a optibay.

9. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I'm guessing it's at least partly an education thing. Apple has offered low end previous-gen models specifically to educational institutes for a long time - I think most recently they still offered 17" white iMacs to education after it had been discontinued in favour of larger screen sizes to the general public.

Interesting that they chose to keep this one available to the public, though.