They end of MBP format, WWDC2014?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zipur, Jun 10, 2013.

1. zipur macrumors 6502

Not now but as I click through the WWDC offerings and speculations. It appears to me that the laptop format is not far away from the history pile. The new Hybrid with snap-on keyboards look to be the standard. And it makes sense, the laptop has dislodged the desktop, why wouldn't the tablet dislodge the laptop.
    As I thought about this more and more my new rMBP does have a rather outdated design. The speed and power-to-size is almost there with iMAC.
    So is it so far fetched that in the next few WWDC this could be announced?:eek:

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

WWDC 2014?!?!? Really…..

WWDC 2013 hasn't happened yet…...

3. Game64 macrumors member

OP, I'll give you this, it's an interesting thought.

But, No. Most of those convertible tablets are trying to be two different things. A tablet and also a laptop. However, I think you'll see that die off before anything else. The Macbook Pro is clearly a Pro device, aimed at the lower creative professionals. To turn it into a convertible would screw with the UI/UX of it.

As for the Macbook Air, While more likely, I think it's just as improbable. The Macbook Air is a perfect standard for people who move around and a convertible would screw with that. For two reasons, OS X isn't finger friendly, and it would cannibalize iOS.

The iPad Mini/iPad are great form factors and are meant to be as small and usable as possible. They could never get a Macbook Air that small while retaining the function and power.

4. PeterJP macrumors regular

Yes, of course. Just like:

- the laptop has completely replaced the desktop PCs
    - desktop PCs have completely replaced mainframes
    - computers have completely replaced working on paper
    - working on paper has completely replaced oral explanations
    - digital photography has completely replaced analog photography
    - photography has completely replaced painting
    - MP3 has completely replaced cd, which has completely replaced phono records

It's possible that the laptop format could stay around for another half a century, at least. It won't be killed off next year, don't worry. It may diminish in importance, but it served a purpose once and will continue to serve that purpose for quite a while.

Edit: I'd like to add the following order of credibility: rumour - hyperbole - Internet forums :)

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Flawed reasoning is why. Jack of all trades, master of none is another reason why.

Every worked in an office? Paper isn't going anywhere. IIRC computers have increased paper usage.

Ever been in the real world? Oral explanations happen all the time.

6. B..., Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

B... macrumors 68000

B...

I think it might have been sarcasm.

7. Augustine864, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

Augustine864 macrumors regular

I think it's very conceivable, especially in 4-5 years time. We have a tendency to dismiss change such as you are describing because we can't imagine operating in any other manner than we are comfortable with presently. We are being asked to imagine a future in which the laptops are becoming irrelevant but when we say "no, this is a pro machine" or "no, the hybrid ui is too clunky, ineffective, cheap build quality, etc", but that the fact is that we can't compare current hybrids to hypothetical future tech. So yeah, hybrids are not going to replace laptops RIGHT NOW, but that isn't the point.

4-5 years is half a decade in technological advancement in an industry where advancement is ever more rapid, so I think it's completely reasonable to envision what you describe. I don't know that it will happen in that amount of time and i dont even know if I personally expect it to, but to dismiss the future possibility based on opinions of current tech seems absurd and misses the point.

That said, WWDC 2014 no.

8. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

The laptop gives the best user experience. So why should Apple discontinue the MPB?

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

10. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

S/He was using hyperbole to illustrate their point. They are in fact saying the same thing you are...

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Fully agree with the OP and I've been on record here as saying pretty much the same. (Although 2014 is a tad too premature in my opinion).

We'll have an iPad "Pro" or "Deluxe" sometime down the road that will further erode the MBP line. Not saying some kind of hybrid design is bad. I can picture a 12" MS-Surface-like gizmo with Apple's own brand of innovation and their ecosystem. My fear is the loss of OSX (other than a developer's version) and complete adoption of iOS and ARM processors in such a device. :eek:

User experience aside, the fallacy in your logic is that Apple sells more tablets than laptops.

12. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

I do not care about the iPad that much.

13. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Liked.

Thumbs up.

14. Krazy Bill, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

And that's your basis for evaluating Apple's future MBP plans? :confused: