They JUST upped the RAM to 2GB...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Kendo, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

Kendo macrumors 68000

There are rumors that iPad Air 3 will have 3GB of RAM. Do you think there is any truth to this? I'm a firm believer that odd numbered iPads (1, 3, Air) have been terrible compared to the even numbered ones (2, 4, Air 2) in terms of longevity.

Seeing as how they just upped the RAM for the first time, do you think iPad Air 3 will stay with 2GB and they will increase it to 3 or 4 with the Air 4? 3GB of RAM might be the only thing that makes me jump ship from the Air 2.

2. Liquinn Suspended

You have a good point. We'll see. :)

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

rumours are 4GB but can't see them bumping it up by 2 in one upgrade.

4. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I'd be very surprised if it's 4GB. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't 2GB.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

As the thread title points out, 2GB has only just become the standard across iOS devices, I'd be surprised if the Air 3 has more than that. Most iOS devices currently in circulation still only have 1GB of RAM, and since Apple isn't going to close the door on so many of their customers, iOS is going to have to remain usable on just 1GB for at least another year. I just don't see a need for 3 or 4GB of RAM on iOS, except as a selling point for the Pro.

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

But, since they didn't upgrade the iPad Air last year, you could say it's time again for a big upgrade.

7. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

highly doubt they would give it the same amount of ram as the ipp

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It wasn't updated last year because they are shifting to a two year cycle on iPads. Because people don't upgrade iPads like they do phones. (Plus the Air 2 didn't need an update last year because with the A8X and 2GB of RAM it was still one of their most powerful iDevices benchmarking not very far behind the A9 in the new iPhones.)

This year will be the Air update only, 2017 will be Mini 5 and Pro 2, 2018 will be Air 4.

At least that what it appears to me that they are doing.

9. Arline macrumors regular

Arline

I'm 100% sure Apple will update iPad Pro this year, absolutely. Even if it's only a speed bump to A10X. Not a chance that iPad Pro, the PC replacement, won't have the fastest chip possible, by some significant margin, at any point.

Even MacBooks, which are upgraded even less regularly than iPads, get yearly updates. iPad Air not getting the update was an anomaly, not the norm.

10. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

Apple can't continue pushing out new chips each year. Let it go to a more sane 2-3 year cycle.

11. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

I don't see any possible reason why the IPP will get another update in 2016, IOS updates yes but the hardware is way ahead of the software just as it is. 2017 is a maybe and even then will probably be late year just as they did the release.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Hope not, want to stay with the latest and greatest ha

13. Billy95Tech Suspended

I have an iPad Air 2 and I think 2GB of RAM is plenty enough on the Air 2 for a least couple years yet.

But who knows I think Apple might surprise us and they might just bump up the RAM to 3/4GB of RAM in the iPad Air 3. :)

14. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

It's hard to say. Apple obviously has an idea that iPad can be a laptop replacement for many and are lightly pushing for a paradigm shift in what iPad can do for people. With the iPad pro, we were sold on the idea that the iPad can do more. I would speculate that iOS 10 will be huge for pro level APPS and if we were going to distribute those apps across iPads, I would think the iPad Air 3 and maybe even the mini will get more ram to be able to handle some of these apps. We don't want a hard limitation for what Apple can do in iOS 10 in the new iPad. We need more resources in iPad to do more fantastical things.

We'll see. But I wouldn't be surprised if apple gave the air more ram

15. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Maybe a cut down version of A9X, faster then the standard A9, but in between.

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I'd say they'd more likely go 4 GB than 3 GB as odd amounts of memory don't work in dual channel configuration.

They'd get more bandwidth with 2 GB or 4 GB than 3 GB (unless they went triple channel but that would be a lot more expensive) and memory bandwidth for 3d is important.

17. Arline macrumors regular

Arline

No. They can easily implement two 1.5GB channels working in dual channel. There's no limit there. A lot of android devices also have 3GB dual channel RAM.

18. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

19. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

iPad Air 3 Specs: 1.8GHz - 2.0GHz A9X, 2GB DDR4 (vs 2GB DDR3 on the Air 2), Same screen......

20. KaliPaige macrumors member

KaliPaige

I doubt they're going to make it nearly as good as the iPP considering it's a new product line that just came out. They want to get that install base settled in for the larger model. So I don't think that the iPA3 will have a 4k display or quad speakers, as nice as that would be.

I think it's a tossup on whether or not they put in the smart connector and Apple Pen support. It would make sense for a device this size, but it's just as likely they want to keep that an iPP exclusive feature. Force Touch should be making its way to the iPads now that the 6S and 6S+ have them. The Mini 4 probably didn't get it because Apple felt pressured to put out something better after the lacklustre Mini 3.

So in my opinion, we're probably going to see...

iPad Air 3: A9/A9X, 2-3 GB DDR4, Force Touch display, 7000-series aluminum.

21. dazz87 macrumors 6502

4GB of ram from apple? Yeah maybe in 2020........

22. msavic macrumors 6502

I feel this is the most accurate prediciation for the Air 3. The hardware of the Air 2 is not the bottleneck for the iPad lineup but in fact the software is.

3D Touch is unlikely given the complications associated with implementation on large screens. The additional flex in larger screens leads to many issues with 3D touch, I have my doubts Apple was able to rectify such issues.

Pencil support seems to be one of the defining features of the Pro line up, I don't see Apple investing the additional money into the iPad Air to incorporate the specific digitizer when the majority of Air users have no need for the pencil.

23. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Early leaks from two case designs by some 3rd party accessory makers showed that the Air 3 will have the 4 speaker (though I highly doubt the same large chambers with carbon fibre caps like the Pro), it will have the smart connector and a flash for the back camera. This is all based on the cutouts those case leaks showed.

I doubt 3D Touch. No one knows if they can even implement the 3D Touch tech into the larger iPad screens yet. They use a much different panel design (iPads are laminated) than iPhones plus the size difference and lack of any kind of Taptic Engine to provide any sort of haptic feedback when peeking and popping.

24. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

You think it'll be that soon?