Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Is anybody else getting a little sick of those dumb sleep-aid ads that show a guy being -- well, haunted, for lack of a better word -- by Abe Lincoln, a woodchuck, and a guy in a deep-sea diving suit?

"Your dreams -- they miss you."

Enough already. It wasn't even as funny as the Geico cavemen when it started, and the sequels have lost whatever marginal cuteness the ads originally had. Give it a rest.

Besides, I'm sure you thought, as I did when those commercials first started airing, that if this is what the guy's been dreaming about, he's got much bigger problems than just insomnia... :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
never understood those ads to be honest. i first saw them on posters and such, so i was at a total loss.

seems like wasted money imo.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Eh, I don't really have an opinion about those commercials. There are other commercials way more annoying. Like all those damn cell phone ringtone commercials and the stupid ass "trivia" questions to win a prize, "just text blah blah to blah blah blah". It's like the damned flash ads of the net have made it to TV.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Worst ad campaign ever. Whoever came up with that should be shot. I don't even remember what they were about. Just that the annoying "They Miss You" things were up everywhere with pictures of Abe Lincoln and such. What the hell?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I agree that that series of commercials has just about run its course, but there are two little details that I did find kinda humorous:
  1. For the commercial that takes place at a bus stop, at one point you can see that the little woodchuck is holding a Blackberry.
  2. The guy in the deep-sea diving uniform never says anything, he just quietly shuffles around in the background.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Yeah, they're annoying, but I have only seen the original set of ads, not anything else.

The add that really gets me is the one about some sort of pregnancy testing, it says something like "The most advanced technology you'll ever pee on"

I mean... what the crap?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
The add that really gets me is the one about some sort of pregnancy testing, it says something like "The most advanced technology you'll ever pee on..."
Unless I just missed it, the original release of that commercial didn't come out and say that -- you just saw the little wand (or whatever it's called) being held under a stream of, umm, fluid, and were supposed to connect the dots yourself. I remember turning to my wife and asking her if she had just seen what I had. :eek: :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If dead people and animals haunted me while I was awake, I doubt I'd be talking about sleep aids.

Heck, I'd probably be drinking my way to a Jim Beam commercial or a testing out a rubber room.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I haven't seen them either, thankfully.

But here's the funny/ironic part: Taking these sleep aids (I assume they're pushing Lunesta or Ambien) results in sleep without dreams. It's more like getting conked on the head with a mallet than real sleep. If it's woodchucks and men in diving suits you want to see, then LSD is probably the better prescription.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
If it's woodchucks and men in diving suits you want to see, then LSD is probably the better prescription.
That's one seriously progressive doctor you've got that will prescribe LSD for you. ;)

I don't remember all the details, but my dreams last night included a conversation with Kevin Costner, crawling through a series of subterranean passageways underneath Wembley Stadium, and a talking owl who screeched the word "Onigurama" at me. Top that.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That's one seriously progressive doctor you've got that will prescribe LSD for you. ;)

I don't remember all the details, but my dreams last night included a conversation with Kevin Costner, crawling through a series of subterranean passageways underneath Wembley Stadium, and a talking owl who screeched the word "Onigurama" at me. Top that.

I was going to suggest a visit to Dr. Tim, but after reading about your dreams, I think you must be Dr. Tim.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I too don't understand it. Who dreams of beavers, anyway, unless that's just a rather rude metaphor for... uh, something else.

Funny thing about Lincoln, though: one of the final episodes of The Sopranos had a couple of Lincoln references in it, including a shot of this commercial. At some point in the episode, Anthony Jr. is talking to his therapist, who was being played by... the exact same guy that played Lincoln in the commercial!

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I actually always thought they were funny. I never remember my dreams, ever, so maybe I'm just fascinated with the idea of dreaming of "weird" things.

I'm not certain as to why they chose who they did for his dreams, but you can tell they are marketing this to people suffering from sleep deprivation.

One thing I've always appreciated about Apple advertising campaigns is that they never make just one commercial. They make at least 5 different ones so there is some variety. The commercials that drive me nuts the most are the companies that make 1 commercial and run it over and over and over again for 6 straight months...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
... (I assume they're pushing Lunesta...
You assume incorrectly. :p Lunesta ads have that stupid glowing butterfly. If I'm in an irate mood when I see the ad, I just imagine thrashing about in my bed to get that GIANT glowing butterfly off of me. I mean seriously, how freaky would that be?!

But er... those Lunesta ads sound awfully appealing... "~7-8 hours of restful sleep" *soothing music*.

:eek:

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
You may hate the ads, but we're in here talking about their products.

They ads succeeded.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
You may hate the ads, but we're in here talking about their products.

They ads succeeded.

So very true...

I actually like he commercials. I think they are hilarious and I have no reason why.

I too don't understand it. Who dreams of beavers, anyway, unless that's just a rather rude metaphor for... uh, something else.

And what is wrong with dreaming about beavers? Got something against Canadians?:D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You assume incorrectly. :p Lunesta ads have that stupid glowing butterfly. If I'm in an irate mood when I see the ad, I just imagine thrashing about in my bed to get that GIANT glowing butterfly off of me. I mean seriously, how freaky would that be?!

But er... those Lunesta ads sound awfully appealing... "~7-8 hours of restful sleep" *soothing music*.

:eek:

If not Lunesta, then Ambien? I'm familiar with both of these drugs. They result in "restful" sleep only compared to the alternatives, the non-prescription antihistamine sleep aids, which produce grogginess but often no sleep, and of course cursed insomnia. Taking them really is more like falling into a coma for six hours than real sleep.

Anyway, about the ads (which I still haven't witnessed): More than 30 years ago an art professor in college commented that surrealist art had begun to go mainstream, in the form of TV ads. That was a long time ago, but now the process seems almost complete -- virtually every TV ad is surreal.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I liked those ads. :p

And I hated the Gieco cavemen ones -- THOSE made no sense to me. And weren't that funny.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
I haven't seen them either, thankfully.

But here's the funny/ironic part: Taking these sleep aids (I assume they're pushing Lunesta or Ambien) results in sleep without dreams. It's more like getting conked on the head with a mallet than real sleep. If it's woodchucks and men in diving suits you want to see, then LSD is probably the better prescription.

nah, they're pushing rozerem (which hits melatonin receptors)... it actually works pretty damn well. i've used rozerem, ambien and lunesta and while rozerem doesnt actually knock you out quite so fast, the quality of sleep is WAY higher.. complete with dreams and all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.