They should have an option to automatically clear texts older than a certain date

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by TH55, Apr 15, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I deleted all of my texts and the performance of my phone improved tremendously.

This is a feature that has been available on flip phones for years. I had it on my Razr 8 years ago.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What phone are you using? And how are you gauging performance increase?

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I am using a 32GB iPhone 4S. I bought it when it came out and I noticed significant lag developing in the last 4 months. I did some searches and read that deleting all txts helped speed tremendously. I did and it has, the lag almost completely disappeared.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Cool deal. Not that I don't think this would be a valid feature, I'm just having trouble understanding exactly why this increases speeds. Afaik the older texts are cached, meaning they take up (minuscule) storage space, but aren't actually loaded until you tap "load earlier messages". Theoretically they shouldn't be able to "bog down" your phone any more than filling your free space with media should. Either way, neat that it works for you. :)

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh wow, good point. They are cached.....hmmm. I wonder why it's suddenly faster? What other variables are there?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'm not certain. There are quirky things in iOS still. I know the YouTube app, even when it was official apple, would have trouble buffering in wifi but bit mobile data. Still does this for me and bunches of others on the AppStore version (since they removed it from iOS 6).

I do recall my wife's iPhone 4 being sluggish and I wish I still had it to try this out. She is in the 5 now, so no dice. It's really the only reason she wanted to upgrade (especially since she has to pay full price - her work lays for the line and she pays for the phone unless she wants a blackberry). She loves her IPhone 4 and had it for over two years.

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i never understood why people even keep text messages. unless i really really need some info thats in the body of the text, i delete all my messages after im done with the conversation.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, I can tell you that people that I frequently text, I have no interest in starting a new thread by finding their name in contacts or typing their number in each and every time. People who I don't text frequently, I will certainly delete threads. It's not that I want to have three years worth of texts backed up. It's that deleting them is just annoying.

9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Why do you bother? I never delete texts. They all backup to iCloud so when I switch phones they just re-download.

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

because i dont need 300 text threads in my message app, sucking down memory or storage space. unless its someone i talk to everyday or frequently, i delete them. thats why i bother. if i need to send a text to someone who i dont have an open thread with, it takes me two seconds to start one.

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree, it's annoying now having to delete them and then having to start a new one. We shouldn't have to either, the iPhone should be capable of storing lots of texts without compromising the performance.

12. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Text messages don't take up hardly any storage space. I have several years worth and haven't noticed any issues with performance. I guess I just don't want the hassle of dealing with managing messages. I just leave it alone and let it work as intended.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you have a 5?

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

No they shouldn't. Clear your own messages if you don't want them.

15. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Yes.

16. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

With 3,820 messages, the size of my sms.db is 2.2MB. These messages have 114 attachments total and they add up to about 282MB. What you are noticing is a placebo effect.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unless there were more/larger attachments (pictures/videos/etc.) which added up to a larger space that they were taking up (let's say maybe even 1 GB) and the phone was already down to like less than 200 MB of free space. Having a GB or 2 GB (I even make sure to have at least 3 GB) free on the phone can make a difference in performance.

18. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

So then why has my iPhone 4S slowed down considerably since I got it?

19. DMH3006 macrumors regular

You might have some attachments that were too recent in some thread to be immediately cached so they had to be immediately available when you opened the messages app.

20. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Because every iPhone does that. It is a combination of a lot of things. Usually a restore can help some. The messaging app is not always in memory so I don't see how you can say the entire phone slows down because of that single app.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have a 16GB 4s and have messages going back to 2007 when the original iPhone came out. I have pictures that I save from websites that take up far more space them thousands of text messages going back to 2007.