Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
It does effect everyone, some people just don't care or notice. iOS devices are using the same exact software, its not going to magically only lag for half users and not the other half.

Happens all the time. There are always issues with updates both on iOS and OS X that don't affect all users. Even with the same devices. Get over yourself.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It does effect everyone, some people just don't care or notice. iOS devices are using the same exact software, its not going to magically only lag for half users and not the other half.

Different installs can have an effect. Two weeks ago due to iCloud Music Library stopped syncing from my MacBook to my iPhone and vice versa I did numerous deleting the phone, restoring, installing 9.0.1, installing 9.1 beta 2, downgrading from 9.1 to 9.0.1 to fix my music library sync. My iOS 9 install was running amazingly well and seldom stuttered. (This install was the original install from when I got the phone in January.) only doing OTA updates since and including all the 8.3, 8.4, 9.0 and 9.1 betas.

But the second I did a fresh install two weeks ago to fix the issue and restore for the very first time in many years (last time I did a fresh was iPhone 4 aside from getting a new phones) it doesn't run anywhere as smooth as it did prior to reinstalling. Many restores and reinstalls hasn't given me the same results I had previously on the exact same iOS versions.

So the fact it DID run smooth on 9.0 and 9.1 before messing around with restores and now runs differently shows no two installs are the same.

The only thing I haven't done is a DFU but not sure if that is really any different than selecting to reset and delete all option directly in the phone.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Happens all the time. There are always issues with updates both on iOS and OS X that don't affect all users. Even with the same devices. Get over yourself.
OSX is very different than simply the same phone running the same OS. Do you have any idea of what you are talking about?

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Different installs can have an effect. Two weeks ago due to iCloud Music Library stopped syncing from my MacBook to my iPhone and vice versa I did numerous deleting the phone, restoring, installing 9.0.1, installing 9.1 beta 2, downgrading from 9.1 to 9.0.1 to fix my music library sync. My iOS 9 install was running amazingly well and seldom stuttered. (This install was the original install from when I got the phone in January.) only doing OTA updates since and including all the 8.3, 8.4, 9.0 and 9.1 betas.

But the second I did a fresh install two weeks ago to fix the issue and restore for the very first time in many years (last time I did a fresh was iPhone 4 aside from getting a new phones) it doesn't run anywhere as smooth as it did prior to reinstalling. Many restores and reinstalls hasn't given me the same results I had previously on the exact same iOS versions.

So the fact it DID run smooth on 9.0 and 9.1 before messing around with restores and now runs differently shows no two installs are the same.

The only thing I haven't done is a DFU but not sure if that is really any different than selecting to reset and delete all option directly in the phone.
My iPhone 6S is fresh out of the box and it is no where near as smooth as my iPhone 6 was on iOS 8.4.1.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My iPhone 6S is fresh out of the box and it is no where near as smooth as my iPhone 6 was on iOS 8.4.1.

*whoosh...over your head goes the point of my post*

The point was installs are different. I didn't necessarily mean the factory install is better. In my case it was and since a restore its been more inline with the complaints. But it did in fact run very smooth before on a different install.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
OSX is very different than simply the same phone running the same OS. Do you have any idea of what you are talking about?
Why? If you compare it on the same hardware then why should/could it be different using the logic that you have been proposing?

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
*whoosh...over your head goes the point of my post*

The point was installs are different. I didn't necessarily mean the factory install is better. In my case it was and since a restore its been more inline with the complaints. But it did in fact run very smooth before on a different install.
If you honestly believe that, that's fine. I have been using iPhones since the 3G and never had this much bugs out of the box.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Why? If you compare it on the same hardware then why should/could it be different using the logic that you have been proposing?
OSX can run on different hardware (clock speed), unless you pick the exact same components. My iPhone 6 has the same EVERYTHING as someone else's iPhone 6.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
OSX can run on different hardware (clock speed), unless you pick the exact same components. My iPhone 6 has the same EVERYTHING as someone else's iPhone 6.

Not always, case in point, the CPUs for the 6s and 6s+ are build by two different manufacturers with two different specs.

iDevices in the past have had memory modules made by different manufacturers as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Like I said, with same hardware. Yet there will still be differences for some.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If you honestly believe that, that's fine. I have been using iPhones since the 3G and never had this much bugs out of the box.

I've been on iPhone too since the 3G. 9.0.2 has some of the fewest actual bugs for a x.0 release than a lot of previous iOS releases. Stuttering is not a bug and not all installs still stutter the same amount.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
I've been on iPhone too since the 3G. 9.0.2 has some of the fewest actual bugs for a x.0 release than a lot of previous iOS releases. Stuttering is not a bug and not all installs still stutter the same amount.
To me stuttering and lag is a bug. It was there in early iOS 8 and iOS 7 version but not to this extent.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009

Do you read? I said the same thing about iOS. And it's true. There are issues all the time with updates that some experience and others don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
A bug to me is when the calculator adds 2+2=5.
That sounds like a defect more than a bug LOL

Do you read? I said the same thing about iOS. And it's true. There are issues all the time with updates that some experience and others don't.
Im not calling you a liar. I genuinely believe you don't see the lag or frame drops. But I don't think its a coincidence that ever iPhone 6S or 6 I used (Apple Store/Best Buy) just had a "bad install".

Reactions: pat500000

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Im not calling you a liar. I genuinely believe you don't see the lag or frame drops. But I don't think its a coincidence that ever iPhone 6S or 6 I used (Apple Store/Best Buy) just had a "bad install".

Some of us are actively looking for the issues you guys are raising. We've posted videos. The lag isn't there. The stutters aren't there. Or they are happening so rarely we can't get it to reproduce the problems when we try. I just think for whatever reason, it's happening for some and not for others. Hopefully Apple will fix it soon though since this thing that it apparently takes Xcode and super slow mo photography to spot bothers you so much.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To me stuttering and lag is a bug. It was there in early iOS 8 and iOS 7 version but not to this extent.
If it's to that extent, then it's a more than a trivial issue. If it's just to the extent that it is for many people, which is generally better than early iOS 8 or 7, and isn't really an issue for many, then it's a much more trivial issue at most.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Im talking about the same device (eg. iPhone 6) running iOS 9. Apps have nothing to do with the animation lag throughout the OS.

I have NO third party apps on my iPhone 6. I have all background app refresh turned off. My iPhone still lags. It has nothing to do with third party apps and there's no way my phone is still indexing after weeks of use.

So I agree with you. It's not the apps. It's Apple's own software that makes it lag. When it lags on a stock system, then you can pretty much be assured that it will lag on a non-stock system as well.

People who don't see the lag, simply don't see it. It's there, but they don't notice. That's all it is. When someone says their iPhone or iPad is smooth, they've just forgotten what 8.4 was like or they don't notice the lag.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have NO third party apps on my iPhone 6. I have all background app refresh turned off. My iPhone still lags. It has nothing to do with third party apps and there's no way my phone is still indexing after weeks of use.

So I agree with you. It's not the apps. It's Apple's own software that makes it lag. When it lags on a stock system, then you can pretty much be assured that it will lag on a non-stock system as well.

People who don't see the lag, simply don't see it. It's there, but they don't notice. That's all it is. When someone says their iPhone or iPad is smooth, they've just forgotten what 8.4 was like or they don't notice the lag.
Does everyone have the same lag in the same places to the same degree all the time? Or are there differences as to the degree of the lag at least, if not the places and/or frequency?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Listen, I see lag during your "I don't have any lag" videos. You're simply blind. I honestly wish I couldn't see it as well, but I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones.

The fact of the matter is, it didn't matter how many times I installed iOS 8, it never lagged like this. When a fresh restore lags, you know something is wrong with the OS, not my iPhone.

Does everyone have the same lag in the same places to the same degree all the time? Or are there differences as to the degree of the lag at least, if not the places and/or frequency?

Everyone with a fresh install will experience the same lag, but different software configurations will obviously have different results. There could be something corrupt in your backup file that iOS 9 doesn't like and makes the lag worse, and turning off transparency effects can help alleviate some of the lag (but not eliminate it).

My point is... it's not something the USER is doing, it's Apple's problem to fix. However, I believe everyone's iPhone 6 will have the same amount of lag (or more) as my iPhone 6 has. Same CPU and GPU combination and same amount of RAM. One person's iPhone 6 isn't going to have a different version of iOS 9.0.2 on it as mine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Listen, I see lag during your "I don't have any lag" videos. You're simply blind. I honestly wish I couldn't see it as well, but I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones.

The fact of the matter is, it didn't matter how many times I installed iOS 8, it never lagged like this. When a fresh restore lags, you know something is wrong with the OS, not my iPhone.
If that is the level of the lag that is being referenced then it'd a trivial issue at best. Perhaps it might bother someone enough to be bad for them, but that doesn't make it more than a trivial issue in general.

It's certainly nothing like "lagfest" or something that makes the OS unusable or makes the release horrible. Yes it's not perfect, no it's not great, but it's not that far below that, and at worst not below decent.

Now, there are people with actual much more pronounced lag and delays and stutter, and those are actual issues of meaningful consequences--there aren't as many of those, at least in comparison to those with actual issues with 8.0 or 7.0, but there are some.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
If that is the level of the lag that is being referenced then it'd a trivial issue at best. Perhaps it might bother someone enough to be bad for them, but that doesn't make it more than a trivial issue in general.

It's certainly nothing like "lagfest" or something that makes the OS unusable or makes the release horrible. Yes it's not perfect, no it's not great, but it's not that far below that, and at worst not below decent.

Now, there are people with actual much more pronounced lag and delays and stutter, and those are actual issues of meaningful consequences--there aren't as many of those, at least in comparison to those with actual issues with 8.0 or 7.0, but there are some.

You're right. It's not show-stopping, but it pisses me off because my iPhone is only a year old and it's already obsolete. It's kinda sad that the iPhone 5 made it through lots of updates and still performed great, but my iPhone 6 couldn't even handle the first major iOS update. Also, Apple even said themselves that iOS 9 was all about performance improvements rather than major features. They said Metal would bring smoother animations and better performance while remaining efficient at the same time. Now, I feel lied to and that makes me kind of upset.

Imagine if you brought your car to the shop because they said this "tune up" would make your car accelerate faster while also using less fuel doing it. You'd be like "Yeah! Sign me up!", but when you got your car back, you noticed that it didn't have quite as much zip as it did before. You'd feel cheated and you'd probably want your car back to the way it was.

I feel cheated that Apple lied to us about iOS 9.

TheDetailsMatter

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
Pulling down on the home screen to open spotlight definitely lags and this lag did not occur in 8.4.1.

The keyboard rotation is comical at best. Won't be fixed until there is a massive SoC performance increase. But that is ridiculous in itself. An alleged desktop class SoC can't rotate a keyboard smoothly.
This. Even on my 6S Plus the home screen lag is unbearable. iOS 9 has sacrificed so much performance for the sake of inproving battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.