They still use the wrist-watch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 6, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I have a brand new mid-2009 MBP 17. I occasionally get that old wrist-watch (that I remember from the 1980s) and the old finger pointer that looks like mickey mouse's glove.

Am I supposed to be getting these old icons? Or is something wrong with my computer? I thought they changed to the beachball...I get that sometimes too, but not always.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes I get all the time; it's normal; I also get the hour-glass oppose to the beach ball.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I prefer the hour glass to the beach ball; the latter creeps me out, and reminds me of that thing that used to re-capture Patrick McGoohan everytime he tried to escape in the cult 60s TV show The Prisoner; the former, on the other hand, simply tells you mildly to 'wait a minute' without inducing a feeling of unease.

Cheers

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Yeah, IIRC, when I first got the computer, I only got the modern cursors. I never remembered seeing the old ones in the store either.

Anyways, one day the standard black arrow looked weird. It's like the edges/borders are no longer sharp, but have some zig-zags in them.

It is always like that now. After it changed to the derformed pointer, these old-school pointers started showing up.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, I've seen that from time to time. I wonder if that occurs when its trying to access some of the carbon libraries versus the cocoa libraries. I have no idea and I'd like to seen an explanation of why this one shows up.

I know that the spinning beachball of death occurs when the OS is waiting for a response (and hasn't gotten it) from an application but that's it.