They way you see a website

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilotkid, Apr 29, 2007.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I don't really know how to word this question... Is there a way to make all my web pages be viewed so that there is like a gray border all the way around them?

For example look at this screen shot from my macbook on the mac world website, is there a way to make all my web pages have that gray border around them? For some reason i really like it...

[​IMG]

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Are you talking about the grey behind the drop shadow of the page? if so that is part of the macworld style and is part of their code. It would be hard to put that on other pages but you could do with custom style sheets for different websites and a lot of time to custom each one.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that it is part of their page and I don't know of any way to add it to other pages.

4. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't really get what we're talking about. The light grey background or the drop shadow?

6. Aranince macrumors 65816

I think hes talking about the grey background. I think there is a Firefox plugin that lets you change the style sheet for websites...but I never looked into it.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Am I missing something? Is this not a Page colour of gray defined in the main stylesheet, with the fixed-width content centred on it? The drop shadow will be graphics.

Ah OK, the OP wants to change other sites to have a gray background. Depends entirely on how each site is built.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I still don't get what everyone is making a big deal about. Plugins? It's just a background color/image!

EDIT: Ohhhh I get it... it's called not browsing with your window unnecessarily full-screen.

Picture 1.jpg

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

That's seriously my biggest pet peeve with people who switch to Macs. There are always people I see in class in front of me with 15" and 17" MBPs with Safari or Word stretched all the way across the screen, with tons of useless white... just wanna smack 'em.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Funny that's a pet peeve of mine too. It's always PC users or recent switchers. Windows just creates and nurtures this bad habit with it's instant maximize-every-window button.

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

This is also a pet peeve of mine, but it's especially annoying when it's coupled with a complaint that OS X's "maximize" is broken. It's not a "maximize," it's a "best fit!" Yeesh.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Greasemonkey for firefox will allow you to add your own style sheet into webpage, and according to this page, it might be possible for you to do it in firefox. I will check them in detail when I got time, sure you can explore for yourself.
    http://www.webtoolkit.info/css-drop-shadow.html

err.. this is very much off topic and little bit disrespectful.

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Actually, it's exactly on topic. You shouldn't find helpful tips disrespectful. This user should try training his or herself to position windows more efficiently and less wastefully. In other words, the Mac way, rather than the Windows way.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't see OP's question has anything to do "mac way vs. windows way". rather, its a pretty.... technical question. if u guys like to discuss mac way vs. windows way. Im sure there are alot of such kind posts out there. feel free to join them.

for OP, the link I just oferred bascially creat several layers below the main body of the webpage, each layer has different color and different display priority. such that they are combined to display a transition of gray.

the problem is that that CSS will not be able to work outside <body> tag. so Unless there are other way, this one probably won't work as I expected. :eek:

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

We all clearly explained how it does. If you're experience with switchers is so extremely limited that you don't even recognize this maximize phenomena exists that's your problem.

I felt free to join this one, thanks.

This is an overly complex solution to a problem that doesn't exist and is based entirely on the OP's misuse of his window.

16. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Ignoring the reason why you want to, or any suggestion of how to use your computer: This is fairly simple to do with most modern browsers. It wouldn't be too hard to add those drop shadows in there either. How to do it in Safari:

Code:
    html, body {

background: #BEC8CC;
    width: 800px;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;

}
    Copy and paste that into a text file and save it as whateveryouwant.css and then go to Safari -> Preferences... -> Advanced -> Style Sheet -> and browse to where you saved your css file.

The static width is probably the most compatible for this particular type of "hack," and you can adjust it to fit your preference. If you want percentage width, well it can be done but it's more likely to break the site's layout.

17. torabora macrumors member

Yes I'm a new switcher, and yes I like to maximize my WINDOWS (;) ) and when I kept pressing the maximize button I was like wtf?

I think it depends on what your viewing, lets say art pieces on a website, won't it be nice to view it full screen? (Do you not maximize anything? even video clips?)

Having multiple windows open and dividing the space up is efficient instead of command tab all the time; but i'm still not used to it

I noticed mac users not maximizing websites and I always wondered why; but I never got mad at them and its their screen so for you to raise your stress level because of it is worthless

PS sorry for the thread hijack

18. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Screw all you guys. I browse full-screen and I've been a Mac user my whole life. So there.

[​IMG]

irmongoose