They will add a port in a few years.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jason2811, Mar 11, 2015.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

The original MacBook Air only had 1 USB when it first debuted. A few years later they added a second USB port. The same will happen with the retina MacBook.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm not so sure we'll see another port. This is different from a regular USB port, so adding a 2nd one just seems to go against Apple was trying to do here.

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

They have to add features to make the second generation model a worthy update. I'd bet my house on a second port, another 1-2 hours battery life, better integrated graphics coupled with Skylake CPU's.

4. magamo macrumors 6502

But from what I hear about Skylake, Intel seems to be moving towards wireless computing. I think it's the kind of thing Apple tends to like, and I wouldn't be surprised if next modes get only one physical port but support wireless connection to compensate that. It makes good sense to me to do away with physical ports as much as possible on ultra-portable laptops/netbooks.

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It's a familiar pattern with 1st generation Apple devices, the first gen MBA had only one USB port, the iPad 1 had no camera, the iPad Mini 1 had older internals.

6. nope7308, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

That wouldn't surprise me.

If you recall, the original unibody macbook from 2008 had no firewire or HDMI ports whatsoever. Both we're introduced in later models.

I think the real controversy here is the pricing. I mean, $1550 CAD for a glorified iPad with little by way of performance and compatibility. Form factor is nice, but this strikes me as planned obsolescence.

And I'm sorry, but someone has to say it... 480p? Are we still filming new episodes of Fresh Prince, too?

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Also initially devices only had one Thunderbolt port, and there were lots of people arguing that one is enough since you can daisy-chain. End of the story is now many Macs have two or more TB ports, or zero...

8. technosix macrumors 6502a

That was then

This is now.... It's not going to happen in the future

9. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

Disagree. If they wanted 2 ports they would have put a thunderbolt on it. Going USB C means TB is dead.

10. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Most probably. Or they will go wireless charging. Or both.

Maybe as soon as Skylake - as I understand it, Skylake will allow for better battery usage. Which means the same battery life with less cells, or more battery life with the same amount of cells.

So if they keep the battery life at 9 hours, they may be able to reduce the battery size and allow for another port.

Maybe not. There's no telling what Apple is planning, but we can be sure that this machine is nothing but a stepping stone.

11. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

So many people are saying that while nobody has review it...yes it's a core M but its a 1.1gHZ core M...check it out online, it's more powerful than a tablet...

I've never experienced lag or slowdowns with Apple computer and I don't thing their going to create a terrible computer....

I can't wait for reviews to come out and to prove everybody on this forum wrong