Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Title says it all, let’s count ourselves.

By that I mean people who are staying on 8/8+ forever because of that sweet convenient swipe-from-the-bottom one-handed control center.

The XR put the final nail in the old-style iPhones coffin.

This is a thread for the resistance.

Let’s suffer together while new amazing iPhones we can’t upgrade to pass before our eyes.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I can’t say that I’ll never upgrade. WTS, they seriously need to find a better solution. Many use this a LOT.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Swiping up gives control center rather than going to the home screen?

tenor.gif

Yeek. Swipe down’s the future brah. Join us and never look back.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
I love the following video because to demonstrate the gestures he automatically uses one hand (not even his main hand probably) for the Plus and two hands for the Max. Says a lot.

[doublepost=1537609059][/doublepost]
Swiping up gives control center rather than going to the home screen?

tenor.gif

Yeek. Swipe down’s the future brah. Join us and never look back.

I guess E.T. hands are the future...otherwise I’m not sure how is one supposed to use a Max one-handed...please Apple figure out something like squeezing (not sure if patented already by google), shaking, eyebrows tracking or something..

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I love the following video because to demonstrate the gestures he automatically uses one hand (not even his main hand probably) for the Plus and two hands for the Max. Says a lot.

[doublepost=1537609059][/doublepost]

I guess E.T. hands are the future...otherwise I’m not sure how is one supposed to use a Max one-handed...please Apple figure out something like squeezing (not sure if patented already by google), shaking, eyebrows tracking or something..
He could’ve done it just fine with one hand. You can also use reachability if you want to make it easier.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
He could’ve done it just fine with one hand. You can also use reachability if you want to make it easier.

Year after year we try to trim fractions of a second from app opening speed and faceID, and I should voluntarily add the delay of invoking reachability to my workflow on a regular basis? Not happening. Reachability is a last resort once-a-month feature for me.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Users in the Xs Max weight thread confirmed me that the Max can’t be used with one hand.

I should point out that
- I currently use an 8+ encased in an Otterbox Symmetry (whose grippy texture actually makes the “thumb contortionism” better than the naked slippery phone) and I’m now able to use it one handed no problem when the need arise, especially my constant use of the control center for stuff like rotation lock, check airpods battery, torch, etc.
- on the ipad, I actually like the new iOS12 swipe down gesture because the ipad is always on a surface or 2 handed anyway, it’s also less ambiguous because the bottom is crowded already (evoke the dock, multitasking, etc.) and you can now use the CC without going into multitasking
- last year I used an X (again encased in an otterbox symmetry, which btw somehow felt “thicker” than the 8+ in the same kind of case) for like 1 month so I’m not discarding the new gesture without even trying...I was bothered by the X, I guess it would be even worse on the XS Max (which is frankly the phone I’d like to have)..

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Not being able to swipe up for control center is kind of a bummer. I miss it but I'm adapting. The flashlight button is super conveniently placed, but on the Max control center is definitely a two-hand affair. Oh well.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
I could see the next big redesign being slimmer and lighter so the “hand gymnastics” may get easier.

Also, if only they gave users the option (under Accessibility, so it wouldn’t feel like a “design betrayal”) to have an “ipad ios11 style” control center on the right of the multitasking tabs...that would allow to just swipe up from the bottom..

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I could see the next big redesign being slimmer and lighter so the “hand gymnastics” may get easier.

Also, if only they gave users the option (under Accessibility, so it wouldn’t feel like a “design betrayal”) to have an “ipad ios11 style” control center on the right of the multitasking tabs...that would allow to just swipe up from the bottom..

Thickness and weight don’t have much bearing on how you can reach the screen. Width and height determine that.

Separating control center from the multitasking view on the iPad seemed like an unnecessary move but on a phone it makes more sense.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Thickness and weight don’t have much bearing on how you can reach the screen. Width and height determine that.

Separating control center from the multitasking view on the iPad seemed like an unnecessary move but on a phone it makes more sense.

Imagine my right hand is a monkey climbing a tree and the tree is an iPhone Max, if the phone was super light and super grippy (case) I could do all sorts of contortionist sleight of hand movements (like, pivot the whole phone on my pinky) to reach the upper corner more easily. That’s why I currently find an encased 8+ more manageable than a naked 8+.

Yes I wish that was optional both on iPad and iPhone. As I realize Apple doesn’t like to sell a “choose your own adventure” GUI, they could bring it back in the form of an Accessibility option. Actually I can imagine people with motor disabilities having a hard time reaching for the upper corner. Then again there’s also the Assistive Touch option already in place (now that I think about it...that could be a solution to the problem...set up with only the CC so it’s a one step gesture..).

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Users in the Xs Max weight thread confirmed me that the Max can’t be used with one hand.

I should point out that
- I currently use an 8+ encased in an Otterbox Symmetry (whose grippy texture actually makes the “thumb contortionism” better than the naked slippery phone) and I’m now able to use it one handed no problem when the need arise, especially my constant use of the control center for stuff like rotation lock, check airpods battery, torch, etc.
- on the ipad, I actually like the new iOS12 swipe down gesture because the ipad is always on a surface or 2 handed anyway, it’s also less ambiguous because the bottom is crowded already (evoke the dock, multitasking, etc.) and you can now use the CC without going into multitasking
- last year I used an X (again encased in an otterbox symmetry, which btw somehow felt “thicker” than the 8+ in the same kind of case) for like 1 month so I’m not discarding the new gesture without even trying...I was bothered by the X, I guess it would be even worse on the XS Max (which is frankly the phone I’d like to have)..
Lmfao. Im right handed, i can pull the control center down left handed. Im about as average as it gets, 6’ and avg hand size.

Typing i have always used 2 hands, even on my old 6s. Rather have speed.

I swear there are people that are not happy, unless they are complaining about something.

I have had a home button for 9-10 years on every iPhone ive owned until the Max.
Took me a little tine to adjust to the change.
And omg the horror!!!!!!! Someone may have to adapt or.... use a 2nd hand.

Honestly, how many times a day do you open control center? Or are guys needed something to complain about?
I used to use it maybe 1-2 times a day... and that may be stretching it. Now with shortcuts i think the battery % is the only time i do, and there are other ways to see it also.

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Year after year we try to trim fractions of a second from app opening speed and faceID, and I should voluntarily add the delay of invoking reachability to my workflow on a regular basis? Not happening. Reachability is a last resort once-a-month feature for me.

Reachability is great. I use it all the time. Resistance is futile.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The control center is a pain to reach with one hand. It can be done by loosely holding the phone with your pinky, middle and ring finger and reaching up with your thumb. You should only attempt it while sitting down or standing still though.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
You couldn't pay me to give up the wonderful swipe gesture interface that made the pull down from top control center necessary.

To me it is a drastically better interface than the home button ever was.

Deathshead

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
Coming from Android I love the top pull down for control center right and notifications left. It just makes sense and works well with iOS 12 on the iPad pro too.

Reactions: TheBacklash

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Coming from Android I love the top pull down for control center right and notifications left. It just makes sense and works well with iOS 12 on the iPad pro too.
And these people complaining dont even think about this.
I dont use android much, but it is very similar.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
You couldn't pay me to give up the wonderful swipe gesture interface that made the pull down from top control center necessary.

To me it is a drastically better interface than the home button ever was.

Honestly the physical home button both on the iPad Pro and the iPhone was the most “wonderful” and unequivocal interface possible. Stress on unequivocal.

Take the ipad (especially the upcoming homebutton-less one), now in iOS12 from the bottom you have 3 kind of very similar swipe up gestures (bring up the dock, go into multitasking mode, go back to the springboard or to the home screen), I’m not sure regular people or the elderly could wrap their head around the subtle differences in speed, acceleration, starting position and finishing position between the 3 gestures.

These gestures allow us to have fantastic borderless iphone and soon ipads, I get it, but I wouldn’t necessarily call them “wonderful” per se...the solid state home button on the 7/8 is wonderful to me because it has all the convenience and accessibility, and can’t even break...

Reactions: brgjoe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.