Thick bezel a "feature"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Mar 17, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I fail to understand the point of the enormous bezel as it makes it more difficult to comfortably hold the iPad in one hand and also massively increases the physical dimensions compared to the useable screen real estate area. Am I missing something useful about the humongous bezel size?

2. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

I like it, while I hold it I rest my thumbs on it so it doesn't interfere with the screen.

3. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Me too, a thin or non-existing bezel would be extremely weird and uncomfortable to hold. And adding handles to the side of the iPad for your hands to rest on would just look ridiculous.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How would you hold it with a thumb or fingers on the screen all the time?

5. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Yup this is why it's there

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Yes you are missing a lot. As an experiment, lay your iPad down, with one hand place your finger somewhere on the screen. Now with the other hand try to click or scroll. That is what would happen with no bezel.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sounds like you should return it if you do not like!:p

8. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm, I suppose my fingers are less chubby and stronger by a factor 2 than all yours! ;)

I agree though if it weighed 30 pounds I'd need that entire bezel to hold on to it.

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

What this guy said...

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Try this and report back: Imagine the entire pane of glass is the active screen.
    Now try to use it, whilst holding only the aluminium.

I've yet to see any modern tablet with a bezel that's thinner, because everyone knows a thinner one, is less practical.

11. matttye macrumors 601

To nearly every poster above me: he didn't say the iPad shouldn't have a bezel at all, just that it doesn't need to be so big... ;)

12. Yggbert macrumors regular

It's the perfect size for a thumb though, any smaller and you'll have a chunk of your thumb on the screen which would be annoying.

13. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Its not about strength but comfort. Maybe you have tiny hands though dunno. I am 6 4 though so a tiny bezel would be annoying

14. matttye macrumors 601

I let my thumbs hover above the screen, doesn't feel natural to hold my thumbs on the bezel. I can see why some people like that though.

15. erawsd macrumors 6502

I don't understand how The bezel makes one handed operation more difficult. Infant, it makes it much easier and comfortable. Otherwise your thumb would rest on the screen and cause unintended input. Or you would have to grip it with your palm which is much less comfortable.

16. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I was watching my Dad as I tutored in how to use my old iPad 2. His hands are pretty big and he's trying to learn to keep his big mitts on the bezel, lol.