Thick Walls, Strong Router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by realph, Aug 6, 2011.

1. realph macrumors regular

I've got some friends that live in an old 4 storey home, the problem is they have very thick walls and their current router (D-Link DIR-615) can't seem to penetrate the signal outside of the room the router is in.

Does anyone know what the strongest router they could buy would be? And any tips for having a strong signal throughout the house.

Thanks in advance.

2. aygie macrumors regular

Airport extreme and then a few airport expresses extending the network throughout the house should help.

Are you in the states or Europe?

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

The other thing to consider is the angle the signal is travelling through the wall.

For example. If the router and the computer are each placed right next to the wall (but on opposite sides of the wall) - but one is one end of wall and the other is 5 or 6 metres farther down the wall....

R
    ==================
    C

Then the signal needs to travel through several metres of construction (draw a straight line from Router to Computer).

Whereas, if the Router and Computer are further away from each other, but the signal is travelling through the wall closer to 90º then it may be stronger.

Also, if there is a big metal thing between the two there will a signal shadow, or a think set of power lines, a heating duct, etc etc.

Perhaps some of this will help. Without seeing the setup it's hard to diagnose long-distance.

4. realph thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in Europe.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy a router and flash it with DD-WRT. You can adjust the power levels past what the manufacturer thinks is best with DD-WRT.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Careful with that the mfg. settings are also to comply with legal requirements so YMMV. DDWRT rocks though...

B

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

In my experience testing these kinds of things, they're really not. Power levels are all over the place.