Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Hopefully after the iPhone 11 Pro was released, Apple is no longer obsessed with a skinny form factor. 4mm thicker and bigger battery. But who here would like Apple to develop the iPhone to be 4mm thicker with a bigger battery, even better battery life, and no camera hump?

On a side note, i'm absolutely loving the iPhone 11 Pro camera. This was on a recent trip to Seattle, WA.

IMG_0381.JPG

Last edited:

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I like them how they are. The battery life on my 11 is great. As for the next ones, someday they will probably have the camera in the phone with nothing sticking out

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I use my phones naked and the camera bump stopped bothering me like 2 weeks after I got my iPhone 6. With the battery life on my 11 Pro as good as it is, I wouldn’t trade the extra thickness for a larger battery. However, it would be interesting if they included it as an option for an extra couple hundred bucks. It could be a better option for people who are constantly using the smart battery case.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Nice Chevy.

I think Apple knows everyone will put a case on it so the camera hump is 100% intentional.
Sigh.

Everyone.

Just no.

You cannot claim EVERYONE when there is at least ONE person who will not put a case on their phone.

That's me.

And there are others out there like me.

So no. Not everyone.
[automerge]1575342074[/automerge]
Hopefully after the iPhone 11 Pro was released, Apple is no longer obsessed with a skinny form factor. 4mm thicker and bigger battery. But who here would like Apple to develop the iPhone to be 4mm thicker with a bigger battery, even better battery life, and no camera hump?

On a side note, i'm absolutely loving the iPhone 11 Pro camera. This was on a recent trip to Seattle, WA.

View attachment 880492
Don't care about the other stuff, but not having the fugy-butt camera boil spreading like a disease over the back of the phone would entice me to buy.

I've been waiting since the iPhone 6s+ for Apple to ditch this. Finally this year, I went Pixel.

I'm hoping this rumored SE2 next year will pan out and I can come back.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Thicker will be heavier. Some people will be OK with that (presuming it also means longer battery life), others will not.

The Mac Rumors design process:
1) Put in everything that anyone wants
2) When the result is too expensive, too large, and too heavy, debate every feature with no hope of gaining consensus

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thicker will be heavier. Some people will be OK with that (presuming it also means longer battery life), others will not.

The Mac Rumors design process:
1) Put in everything that anyone wants
2) When the result is too expensive, too large, and too heavy, debate every feature with no hope of gaining consensus
I've been okay with heavier. The original iPhone 6+ was approaching something I was comfortable with. Since then the plus series have all been too light.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Seems like Apple has intentionally designed the iPhones with the camera hump as a signature design.

I mean literally every external camera design Apple did, the Android OEMs copied them shamelessly.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sigh.

Everyone.

Just no.

You cannot claim EVERYONE when there is at least ONE person who will not put a case on their phone.

That's me.

So no. Not everyone.

Don't care about the other stuff, but not having the fugy-butt camera boil spreading like a disease over the back of the phone would entice me to buy.

I've been waiting since the iPhone 6s+ for Apple to ditch this. Finally this year, I went Pixel.

Ahh, yes, the camera bump rhetoric never ends, does it? I think it’s pretty evident Apple is not going to favor flushing the camera bump with the chassis, and I understand your standpoint from it, but perhaps you don’t understand Apples and maybe that’s a problem on why you never let this go. No, snark, ‘just callin it as I see it. ‘

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Sigh.

Everyone.

Just no.

That's me.

So no. Not everyone.

It’s not going to be possible to come up with a design that pleases every single user.

Right now, I think it’s safe to claim that the majority of iPhone users will slap a case on their phone and the bump really isn’t an issue for them.

I don’t use a case with my 8+ either, and it’s just something I live with.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ahh, yes, the camera bump rhetoric never ends, does it? I think it’s pretty evident Apple is not going to favor flushing the camera bump with the chassis, and I understand your standpoint from it, but perhaps you don’t understand Apples and maybe that’s a problem on why you never let this go. No, snark, ‘just callin it as I see it. ‘
Oh, I've said several times that this is a design choice by Apple. As a design choice, no, they won't change it - at least not right now.

But my counterpoint to you now is - Jony Ive has left the building. Just like with Steve Jobs, at some point there will be a design that is not Ive's. Will it have the bump? Maybe. Maybe not. But the camera bump was Ive's thing and now he's gone.

We'll have to see.
[automerge]1575377124[/automerge]
Right now, I think it’s safe to claim that the majority of iPhone users will slap a case on their phone and the bump really isn’t an issue for them.
A majority of users, yes will put a case on it, yes. But not everyone.

I'm in a minority around here, I get that.

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
A majority of users, yes will put a case on it, yes. But not everyone.

I'm in a minority around here, I get that.
I've always advocated for how nicely the Apple leather cases flushed out the camera bump but I've been using my Pro without a case for about a month now and it's really not an issue now that it's "spread like a disease". The increased area of the module helps with the rocking so it's even more of a non-issue for me these days.

How's that Pixel treating you? Did you get the 4? I used the first one for a while and really enjoyed it. Probably would have stuck with it for longer had I not been an Apple Watch addict at the time.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've always advocated for how nicely the Apple leather cases flushed out the camera bump but I've been using my Pro without a case for about a month now and it's really not an issue now that it's "spread like a disease". The increased area of the module helps with the rocking so it's even more of a non-issue for me these days.

How's that Pixel treating you? Did you get the 4? I used the first one for a while and really enjoyed it. Probably would have stuck with it for longer had I not been an Apple Watch addict at the time.
We got the 3a XL. It's a decent phone, nice introduction to 'pure' Android. It's capable and I like it and the camera bump is much less, LOL!

That said, I'm still carrying around my 6s+ as my secondary phone. You'll appreciate that it's still jailbroken on 9.0.2. ;)

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I don't really mind the camera bump. I don't type on the phone while it's sitting on table or desk. I don't put my phones in cases and neither of my iPhones XR have any scratches. For me, the camera bump is a non-issue.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
In the past it mattered more to me. With the great battery life we have now, and phones as heavy as they are, I don’t want even more weight.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Meh doesn't bother me. Just like the notch really, don't notice its there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.