OS X Thief now available for Mac on Steam!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by imacken, Nov 25, 2015.

1. imacken macrumors 65816

... and it's great! Just finished the superb Alien Isolation, so Thief fills the gap quite nicely.
    Well done - as usual - to the Feral guys!

2. Vashed macrumors newbie

Vashed

Thats good to hear. I enjoyed the gae so now many new people can play it.

3. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Yep. Grabbed The Master Thief Edition and all the DLC for a little over 11 bucks on release day. What a fabulous deal. I hope they sell a ton of copies so they still make out good too.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Considering Teef was a commercial bomb (sold less than 250,000 units across all platforms, IIRC), I don't expect this to be a great seller on the Mac. I found the game extremely disappointing, and I'm not even a fan of the franchise. I was hoping for something like a medieval Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Teef isn't fit to hold DX:HR's jock strap.

5. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

You don't recall correctly, Thief sold around 2,000,000 and was very well received by critics. What does it have to do with Deus Ex? 2 total different games!

6. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

It wasn't a flop, but got mostly rather middling reviews.

7. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I don't recall for sure now but did the game have any launch issues that affected initial perception of it?

Anyway, I did read various user reviews both good and bad and from that came to think it is a game I'll have fun with myself. I don't know if has something to do with my going way back playing the very old MS-DOS games or what but for some reason I think I tend to be more forgiving of various shortcomings in games so long as they are not outright terrible or afflicted with serious technical issues. I've played some stuff that was not terribly popular but I enjoyed it myself such as the game, "Of Orcs and Men" I think it was called and want to play the Styx followup game. I really liked the game's setting, story, characters in particular and the gameplay itself but then I was completely fine with accepting its console origins and playing it with a controller which made all the difference when it came to the combat, etc.

A classic that is often not so highly regarded in the shadow of its followup is the original Baldur's Gate but I absolutely loved every moment I spent with that game. While I am sure it isn't perfect like anything it was just such a completely enjoyable experience for me. Now that I have the enhanced edition I am looking forward to a future replay after some other stuff I want to play first.

I won't wander any further off topic than that but I just wanted to make the point that at least for me, reviews even by other users, even in a majority don't always dictate for me what I might enjoy or not. From that information I learn what people had issues with and/or liked and then can decide how that fits with me. That to me is the value of reviews, the info they provide, not the verdict. So I don't care how Thief was received myself. I read enough to feel I will probably have a good time there.

8. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

Not at all.* Most common criticisms were the bland story, mediocre and linear level design, underdeveloped game mechanics, and an overall impression of trying to please everyone, without doing anything really good. Pretty much every review I read at some point said something along this line: "It's not a bad game, but also not a really good one."

(* At least not for the PC version. I can't remember if the console versions had problems.)

9. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Ah, okay. Yes, that sounds about right but the graphics are said to be very good. I just care about the graphics and the FPS you know? That's why I got a Mac after all!

10. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

personally i thought it one of the best games ive played, and i really enjoyed the story and the game.

has anyone tried it and can comment on the port? ive played the whole main game but never got round to playing the dlv which i bought after, if the port is decent i might download the mac version and play the dlc.

see this is why the suggestion ages ago on here about feral having a tip box would be good. ive already paid for thief for pc, so will get it free from steam and benefit, maybe ill buy another game in their sale...

11. imacken, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015

imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm loving this game so far!
    Does anyone know how to 'sneak' using a gamepad? At the moment, I have to use the keyboard command to cross streams quietly which doesn't really work well.

EDIT: Sorted! Just got to move the LS movement very small amount to achieve 'sneak'.