Thin and efficient cooling pad?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamrawr, Jul 30, 2010.

1. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Cooling pad? WTF? Worthless gimmick for cheap windows machines IMO.

3. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

4. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Some people like not having burned testicles IMO.

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Cooling pads don't work on macs, I already bought one and it doesn't help, your MacBook's ventilation is on the hinge, the Pads cool down the back which is flat, it won't help, it will just feel complicated to use and louder

Don't waste your money

EDIT: And if you don't want your lap to catch on fire because this new things even reach 100ºC use a 2$ Tray

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I bought a Belkin cooling pad. It didn't do much, was noisy, and looked gross. Worst $10 I ever spent. You honestly can't harm your MBP unless you disable the fans and mess with the fan system settings.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

My old PowerBook g4 was a nut cooker. I used a water pillow which you pit in the fridge, it's for headaches. Don't know if You can still buy them but it kept my g4 cool as the main cooling is done through the case.

8. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

9. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Neglected the "thin" part Lolz.
    Anyways, so external fans won't work... So how about a cooling mat like those ones with melting crystals in them to distribute the heat? Thing gets uncomfortably hot on my lap =( why doesn't anyone design one specifically for the mbp? Is it really not that nessesary to have some sort of external cooling?

10. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I think thats just the point. It doesn't need one. The metal body is designed to act as a heatsink and disperse the heat which is why it feels warm sometimes when being worked hard, that just means its doing its job.

11. chanerz macrumors 6502a

no need for cooling pad. it's like putting a cooling fan into the ps3. so no need.

12. Billy Blazes macrumors newbie

Not trying to Hi-jack the thread, but on the same lines. Could someone recommend say a good Lap Desk or the like. I get the whole cooling fan thing doesn't really work. But Last night playing SC2. My 1 week old MBP got really hot on my lap.

Billy

15 MBP 2.4 i5 4 gig ram

13. neenja macrumors 6502

anything cheap and quiet will do fine. use smcfancontrol for fan control if you want to lower your internal temps a bit. cooling fan pads do pretty much nothing for the internal temps.. i find that without a cooling fan and having the mbp on my lap, it gets insanely hot in the bottom. my keyboard also starts to get hot. i use this belkin when i have the mbp on my lap:

[​IMG]

and while it sits on my desk as my desktop i use the vantech lapcool 2 (had this for liek 4-5 years already).. works well cus it has a multi usb port on the back which i use.

[​IMG]